NASA looks directly at the sun so you don't have to, and it's gorgeous

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Maximillian Cohen: 9:13, Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six I did. The doctors didn’t know if my eyes would ever heal. I was terrified, alone in that darkness. Slowly, daylight crept in through the bandages, and I could see. But something else had changed inside of me. That day I had my first headache.

4 Likes

Every time I view images or video of the sun, I’m still amazed that it’s such a perfect example of physics in action, right in front of our face. A ball of gas so huge that as it collapses in on top of itself, the pressure of that collapse begins and sustains a fusion reaction kept at it’s current limits only because of it’s own gravitational pull. I mean, it’s fucken fusion, right there! In the sky!

It’s like a great big structural failure, blowing up just 93 million miles away. Just badass. If only I could live long enough to see a Supernova up close. Correction: up close-ish. Like kinda far away up close-ish.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.