NASA's "Eyes on Exoplanets" has hypothetical renderings of those so far discovered

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/07/nasas-eyes-on-exoplanets-has-hypothetical-renderings-of-those-so-far-discovered.html

6 Likes

I love it! So are these automatically generated based on the data in the exoplanet database, or did some poor 3D artist have to build them all by hand?

4 Likes

What a fantastic resource. Definitely could have used it when I was writing my story, The Eiffel Tower of Trappist-1 d a couple of years ago to ensure I picked a good option for my space colony.

TRAPPIST-1 b is a super Earth exoplanet

No, no … 1 d.

TRAPPIST-1d is one of seven Earth-sized planets in the TRAPPIST-1 system

Yes!

4 Likes

it takes 1.5 days to complete one orbit of its star

That planet is really travelling! An entire year in one and a half Earth days? I’m a total layperson when it comes to astrophysics, and I thought at first this must be a typo. But the Exoplanet Catalog sez 1.5 days so I guess 1.5 days it is.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m guessing that means that it is so close to its star that it is tidally locked and therefore not a great candidate for life.

1 Like

Star Trek Wow GIF

3 Likes

Yeah, but a day is 2 years long. :thinking:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.