NASA's hand soldering guide

We will be fine (we will be fine)
Apollo 9 (Apollo 9)
Even though NASA say
“Way out of line” (out of line)*

*Note: for the longest time, I thought the lyric was “Even though NASA say we out of line”. I’m still not convinced.

I know, right? Looking at anything I’ve soldered chances are I have most of these on the same damn board. Then again, they aren’t going to space or life critical systems or anything. Still, very educational and good things to look out for if I want to up my soldering game.

The one that really surprised me was the excess flux - not sure why that would be a reject. Excess flux is almost inevitable especially if working with SMD stuff.

2 Likes

Creepy looking part is just the identifier for Mozilla’s pdf viewer.

I don’t know about soldering hands, but as a tip: Don’t solder in your underwear.

1 Like

I fail to see how taking it off would help.

2 Likes

If you have excess flux on your finished board, you can easily clean it off. So I would guess they’re saying “do that first, and then we’ll see if the actual joints are OK once we can see them properly”.

I think you’re also not supposed to leave flux on a board long-term as it can promote corrosion, unless I heard that in a dream.

Kinder betet, Vater lötet!

http://urlify.io

2 Likes

I haven’t put one together, but @beschizza is definitely the chaotic good square of the BB contributor alignment chart.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.