Everything about this “Beautiful Woman Soldering” stock photo Is wrong

[Read the post]

12 Likes

Her hand position was the first thing I noticed. What a confluence of clueless model, clueless photographer, and clueless photo labeler.

24 Likes

OW OW OW OW OW!

I thought this was going to be nitpicky, but then I looked at the actual photo, and aaaaaaaaa!!! NOOO!!! I’ve had too many burns from soldering irons to look at this and not flinch.

Also, what the hell is she supposed to be soldering on top of a motherboard?

32 Likes

Shoulda posed her with a MetCal and called it “Woman using beautiful soldering iron”.

34 Likes

Looks like she’s set to get a breathful of flux too, let’s hope she’s not using leaded solder :wink:

That or she’s using my cheapass technique of “always just breathe out, away from your face when soldering”

14 Likes

Lead won’t vaporize at soldering temperatures, but flux fumes are worth avoiding anyway. Lack of adequate ventilation is a big reason I don’t do much soldering at home

1 Like

On a good day, I’ll see that 14MHz from my soldering iron on the scope. How it works is pretty amazing – allowing a small tip, very rapid response, and excellent temperature control.

3 Likes

She’s also soldering the wrong side of the board (for through connectors) or using the wrong iron for surface mount rework purposes. And of course, keeping a poker face while burning the absolute fuck out of her right hand.

23 Likes

Lucky for her she doesn’t seem to be using any solder at all!

23 Likes

Seems like she’s about to solder the battery into place…

5 Likes

Well, she is certainly not ugly so the title at least fits.

The soldering iron certainly is not powered. One wouldn’t hold a powered one this way more than once, at least by intention. Don’t ask how I know.

This big soldering iron won’t be likely to be used on such a densely populated board. Bigger parts may be an exception, though. Or maybe she’s stripping the power transistors from an obsolete decommissioned mobo; the power supplies for the CPUs are a good source of parts.

The tip position is virtually guaranteed to leave marks on the PCI slot. Again, don’t ask how I know.

Why yellow goggles? Wouldn’t it wreak havoc with the color perception that tends to be somewhat important? (And why goggles at all? It’s not like soldering produces higher-energy flying particles. Grinding, certainly yes, though.)

Lead is not volatilizing nor aerosolizing during soldering. I wouldn’t consider this a concern.

Nonleaded solders, on the other hand, require higher temperatures, oxidize worse, stick worse, and are more frustrating to work with. Avoid in all aplications that aren’t food-contact or don’t explicitly require higher melting temperature or other features.

An occasional flux sniff won’t kill you. If you don’t have your head in the cloud of smoke for hours every day, don’t worry about it too. Rosin fumes cause occupational asthma, so for really prolonged exposure take care; again, occasional sniff won’t hurt you and if you are starting soldering as a kid (been there), the smell will bring nice memories later, at least if it won’t get banned by the do-gooder nannies by then.

…also, she needs a stereomicroscope for the SMD boards. I got one and never looked back.

16 Likes

children? the father of said children?

5 Likes

The engagement ring, bitten nails, unwashed hair and terrible taste in blouse colour are a hint. I think as well as destroying her co-worker’s motherboards by stabbing at them with a cold soldering iron she also drowns lab mice in the sink behind her.

11 Likes

They call her “beautiful” because we need to be informed of this fact. After all, they’ve hidden her face behind the safety glasses and the downward gaze.

2 Likes

You can add “there’s no solder” to the long list of things wrong with the picture.

10 Likes

I guess at this point not using an anti-static mat is waaaaaaay down the list of worries.

26 Likes

Relax. Clearly this was a mislabeled key word.

Should have been "Beautiful android repair soldering a printed circuit board.”

4 Likes

For that, I generally just use a hot-air paint stripper and a scraping tool such as a putty knife. But of course, that leaves you with a sorting problem, especially for the smaller parts.

4 Likes

At first glance I thought it was a continuity tester. But then… nope

1 Like

Favorite obscure wrong thing: outdoor style tinted safety glasses being used indoors. They won’t let you do that in a FIRST robotics competition.
The same safety glasses are featured on the photographer’s “female construction worker” stock photo.

9 Likes