National Park Service makes a splash on Twitter

Originally published at: National Park Service makes a splash on Twitter | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Their Instagram is the same - in case you don’t tweet anymore.

6 Likes

i can’t believe anyone is hanging out on twitter any more these days. move to Mastodon and the Fediverse, already! staying on twitter says all kinds of bad things about you.

6 Likes

For personal accounts, I absolutely agree. For organization accounts it’s a little different. You’re (usually) not there to follow other people and engage in discussion, you’re there to be an information source, or at least that’s the theory. I’ve been working on getting our library away from Twitter, but as our PR manager notes, if we’ve got people following us there, we need to keep using it for now. (Although in our case, the account is strictly one way: outgoing posts only, no engagement.)

8 Likes

yeah, that’s a good point. but even for a business i’d be wary. i mean, what brand wants to be associated with a site that supports bigots and nazis?

3 Likes

That’s pretty much the tactic I’m using when discussing this at our library. I think I’m going to get us away from there, but it’ll require a slow weaning off of it and more than a bit of education on using other platforms. (I’d get us off of Facebook too, if I could, but that’s an even tougher battle.)

3 Likes

I think that consumer brands and government and other orgs should start their own Mastodon or other ActivityPub-based instances under their official domains pre-emptively. However, I also acknowledge that it’s a lot of work to set up and maintain (even if the instance has only one account) and moderate. And as you note, until Twitter goes completely (and, knowing Musk, abruptly) belly-up, those orgs will have to continue Tweeting as long as they have followers.

A wise policy in general for orgs like yours. I don’t think Mastodon has a “disable replies” feature for individual posts but it would be useful in a case where you’re basically an org making announcements.

7 Likes

Chuckle chuckle, guffaw guffaw

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.