Neighborhood associations are installing license plate readers to privately police who drives on their streets

We have what seems like a pretty high rate of people rifling cars and stealing packages in our neighborhood. We also have a skyrocketing rate of shootings city-wide (we hear gunfire most days now). There are cameras everywhere, and they seem not to make much difference. I wish there was something that could be done, because it doesn’t feel that safe around here anymore.

1 Like

E-ink licence plate.

Wouldn’t just building a gate be cheaper?

1 Like

Leaving a package just out in the open is weird.

Most Americans are at work or school during the day, so they aren’t home. Should we demand that delivery drivers only work from 5 p.m to our bedtime,. when we’re home and awake to answer the door?

2 Likes

Adopt broken windows policing?

Yeah, naw. I’m gunna pass on that.

You know that the same applies in the rest of the world, right? That’s why they try to deliver it several times and then you can pick it up at the post office.

2 Likes

It’s a reasonable idea, but I think it would require a logistic investment that neither the delivery companies nor the mail would make. Extensive additional warehousing, and costs for redelivery. From a purely accounting standpoint, it’s probably a lot cheaper to replace stolen packages than to implement a new delivery scheme. The fact that their current delivery scheme has created a whole new type of opportunistic crime does not touch the balance sheets.

Outside of the options of collecting it from a post office or arranging your own life for someone to be there when they are delivering (after all, you’re the one who paid to have the delivery), the other option for those in an office job is to have it delivered where you work.
If it’s a large item, most people will either take the time off/swap shifts with someone or work from home (again, provided your job can be done from home) or if they’re in a job where they can’t take that time off they’ll have it delivered to a friend or family member who is available and collect it from them when they are finished with work.

Leaving a package at the doorstep is just inviting more problems into people’s lives that they then try to find a solution for outside of the obvious - don’t have it left unattended.

They are a thing in California. I think Costco had them for a while. But why the heck you’d need an e-ink license plate for legit purposes still escapes me.

Printer ink lecense plate. Preferably a number from a local constable’s whip…

Yah, it’s real easy when organized crime cracks the database all that data is stored in. For many, the concern is not who has official access, it’s that the data is being gathered at all, because we know nobody can truly keep it safe. This is proven every. Single. Time.

4 Likes

Radiks delivery riders all had their outfits plastered with bar coded visa documents to get the into the burbclaves without touching the sides.

2 Likes

Hmmm, i could see a situation where someone that’s showing off a custom car might have the legit plates displayed on an e-ink plate and when they park it they can alter the plate to display something else without the need to physically swap plates.

Beyond that i’m really struggling to think of other scenarios. And even then it’d be dumb to pay a monthly fee to keep up such a thing but some people have too much money i guess.

3 Likes

this

Hanlon’s razor is strong with massive data collection programmes.

3 Likes

But in Europe works like this. If the postman can’t deliver will put a receipt and leave the parcel at the post office. Here you cold find a lot of medieval or roman zones with narrow streets, without curb, and sometimes leaving a big box at the door blocks traffic.

1 Like

Yes, things are a little busted on this side of the ocean. You may have noticed this.

2 Likes

We don’t have an HOA in my neighborhood, but these would actually be useful (twice in the last 10 years that I’ve been here). Currently we’re having a rash of stolen catalytic converters, I think because we’re pretty close to an escape route (freeway on ramp). About 5 years it was more serious with somebody attacking females out jogging/walking dogs etc…

That being said, the utility seems a bit overshadowed by privacy and “surveillance normalization” concerns.

Unfortunately humans suck, and nothing is ever safe. The walls you build are your prison as much as they also keep others out. There are other ways to secure your own safety/security.

I’ve actually through about deploying one on my block (dead end, I live close to the opening). After some hit-and run, late night (Suspected) drug deals, and high speed driving (probably related to the hit and run) it would be nice to know the plate of who’s responsible.

Only a matter of time before we see a Kickstarter campaign for autonomous drones that seek out license plate readers and TWEP.