Neon salesperson's sample case, restored

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/01/neon-salespersons-sample-case-restored.html

7 Likes

A noble effort.

18 Likes

I use a toolbox for my combustibles, but I sure could be steered towards a neon fitted brief case.
Neon is one of my fave examples of a 20th Century marriage of form, and function. Even now in my mid 60s, I find the stuff to be magical, mystical, and just plain purdy.
Thanks for the post Andrea. It’s always nice to come across one of your friendly shares.

8 Likes

Thanks! I love neon, too, and while many considered it a blight in its heyday, I consider it one of the most underappreciated art forms.

Stay tuned in 2021! All wonderful all the time is my beat here!

12 Likes

many municipalities still have ordinances prohibiting neon, or neon-look lighting and signs. Its largely been replaced by the next blight, which is interior illuminated awning canopies.

5 Likes

Ugh, those are bad, but I would argue these hideous, glaring LED signs are the worse blight:

13 Likes

fixed that for you

6 Likes

Thanks. :relaxed:

3 Likes

That would make a badass -if unweildy - flashlight.

2 Likes

Marsellus will be glad to have it back in working order.

pulp-fiction-vincent-briefcase

15 Likes

[nerdly snigger]

1 Like

“Neon” light is a generic name; different colors are generated by different gases. Nice chart here:

/pedant

7 Likes

I’d argue that the first blight was laser-cut vinyl lettering/signs. Once neon and hand-painted signs fell out of vogue, everything became too clinical.

DELETED 'CAUSE @knoxblox BEAT ME TO IT! THX! THX A WHOLE LOT!

2 Likes

Cobalt blue always does something to me. A style that I love; Art Deco… and still gorgeous even sans the neon (which formerly adorned it.)

6 Likes

You, Sir, win the Internet today. Thank You!

My condolences. You shall win the Internet on another day, sure enough.

2 Likes

I feel the same. It’s good to know we’re on the same wavelength!

bad-pun-husky

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.