Nepal is banning single-use plastic on and around Mt. Everest

at least. was about damn time.

I don’t know if I like the idea of relegating access to natural wonders like Everest to the sole domain of the super-rich. Maybe they should switch to a lottery system or something if they need to cut down the number of tourists.

5 Likes

Economy of scale, heated stair case means you could climb more than just the traditional best window and move way more people. I forgot to mention, to the side of the stairs is a slide so you can get down much faster, as well as get your trash off with easy.

Would building a heated staircase be difficult? Sure. But Disney World was built on a swamp and look how well that turned out.

1 Like

soon the paths will either be filled with trash and tourists queues which will take presidents

There are a list of them here

Muchu Chhish seems to be the highest that isn’t off limits for religious or political reasons.

Personally I have no desire to go anywhere near the death zone

1 Like

Nepal should start a reality TV show where you compete to earn an Everest pass…sort of like American Ninja Warrior. Proceeds from the tv rights to the show would fund Everest upkeep and cleanup (and full-time pay for Sherpas) while weeding out those less able to make the cut. And maybe fund a few Everest “scholarships” for sentimental cases that make good copy.

Sounds like a good pilot project for the whole country. The single-use plastic is a problem where it accumulates in brooks and creeks, and between buildings, and—hell, all over the streets of Kathmandu, and any other town in Nepal. It might help if there were a few trash bins, and some more garbage collectors, as well as fewer smoldering heaps.

And have those abandoned too, like the human waste, tents and depleted oxygen bottles that made up the bulk of the rubbish cleared.

Yes, a general problem. Personally, I’d employ a deposit system. Weigh everything on on entry, sans water. Put a deposit on each kilogram. 500 USD perhaps? At least twice of the cost to remove a kg of trash.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.