Nepal is banning single-use plastic on and around Mt. Everest

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/23/nepal-is-banning-single-use-pl.html

3 Likes

Maybe they should ban tourists while they are at it.

17 Likes

"We will soon find a solution for that."

Don’t keep the solution a secret, we need it STAT!

2 Likes

Along with single-use plastic body bags?

6 Likes

They are banning novice climbers as well:

so they don’t leave so many bodies laying around.

14 Likes

They should just install heated stairs to the top, and then charge $50,000 a head to go up. Make like a high price Disney land.

6 Likes

I guess they could metal water bottles and refill those. Novel idea, I know.

2 Likes

Isn’t that already more or less an option; just implemented with Sherpas?

4 Likes

There should be a mini hyperloop down the mountain for disposed single use oxygen tanks.

3 Likes

Apparently foreigners aren’t advised to drink the tap water there. Certainly it’s still an issue that could be addressed with adequate filtration and/or water purification tablets but no rich tourist is going to want to risk getting a stomach bug during their once-in-a-lifetime ascent.

1 Like

Water doesn’t count as a soft drink? It’s certainly not a hard drink.

1 Like

Then they can stay home. Or at least put a $100 deposit on each bottle.

Climbers there are surrounded by gigatons of snow and ice that can be melted and is renewed with every story. Why in God’s name do they cart in water?

After you’ve melted snow, you have to carry the water. I usually use wide-mouth ‘disposable’ soft drink bottles because they’re much lighter than the alternatives.

Also, there isn’t much fresh snow at that elevation. Those incredible snow packs are because it never melts. I bet every patch of snow within 200 m of the route has been pissed on by a previous climber.

(Disclaimer: I harbor zero ambition to conquer the Big Mountains. My winter climbing has been confined to the relatively modest summits of the eastern US. Which still kill climbers with distressing regularity, so that’s entirely enough adventure for me, thank you very much.)

4 Likes

and take your oxygen tanks back on way down , friggin slackers.

At this point, I think humanity has proved that Mt. Everest is scalable, by many different people, by the thousands.

Maybe its time to leave this particular landscape alone for a while? Climb a different mountain, ford a different stream.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Easy solution. Ban climbers. Just like cathedrals & temples do.

1 Like

It’s irresponsible of Nepal to make their mountains so tall to begin with. They should dynamite the top off, a few meters at a time, until you reach a safe height that can be scaled without risk of of death and littering.

3 Likes

from 11,000 to 50,000? thats not enough. the overall costs are already in that range for decades, i doubt that would made much difference, too many superich now in this strange world.

The typical cost when climbing the Everest with a Western agency is $45,000 and above. With a local Nepali operator it can be between $25,000 and $40,000.” The cost includes the royalty fee of $11,000 for the peak

made it at least 500,000 and also cap the permits for the attempt by 90% (permits for this year: 381).

1 Like