Netflix app will no longer run on rooted Android devices

Orly?

[quote=“falcon2001, post:9, topic:101161, full:true”]I do love that the response to stuff like this always ‘guess this validates my rampant piracy’ and not ‘guess I’ll go buy from DRM-free places or support independent films’.
[/quote](My emphasis)

Care to try again? Quite a few people did nothing of the sort.

I do love that the response to stuff like this always ‘guess this validates my rampant piracy’ **and not ‘**guess I’ll go buy from DRM-free places or support independent films’.

I honestly don’t even know if the grammar is wrong, but I’m sure we’ve fulfilled some requirement here to have the dumbest grammar argument on the internet.

Don’t try to garner sympathy, simply because your pearl-clutching went awry
=) .

I’m guessing that your Time Base Corrector was…purely…there to compensate for the unfortunate low mechanical quality of consumer VCRs; and performed no macrovision-related duties whatsoever back in the day?

I think you’re kinda right about the browser fingerprinting issue, but there’s an inevitable diversity of browsers even on approved devices that will all need to be acceptable, so I imagine there’s some wiggle room there. And really there’s no reason you can’t run the same browser on your rooted device, right? It could be annoying to have to keep up with updates, though.

Also, by default apps aren’t allowed to use root access even on rooted devices. Access has to be granted specifically. Seems like it wouldn’t be hard to hide rooting from the app itself, since all apps run sandboxed anyway.

Cough

It was used exclusively for the VCR to work with a video toaster.

I expressed myself rather carelessly. I didn’t mean fingerprinting the browser, I meant a procedure similar to fingerprinting the browser but fingerprinting the ‘rootedness’ of the device. Perhaps a timing attack.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.