Netflix is reportedly experimenting with allowing viewers to control time

There is a “Microserfs” joke to be made here, but I can’t be arsed to find the right quote.

Seems like a symptom of a larger issue, which is that art increasingly serves to distract rather than provoke. Any artist that’s had to adjust to making content for the mobile web can tell you it’s a process of distilling things down to be consumed as quickly as possible, but producing this smallish thing regularly enough that people keep coming back for a fix. Which sounds like another profession entirely.

4 Likes

IknowitwasyouFredoyoubrokemyheartyoubrokemyheart

6 Likes

Does anyone still watch YouTube videos at 1.0x speed anymore? YouTube offers up to 2.0x, which is just barely fast enough. (You can do better with a browser extension.) Life is too goddamn short.

1 Like

The alternative to watching dubbed video at 0.75 speed is backing up to read the sub you missed, missing the scene again, backing up, …

Seriously? That doesn’t interfere with the artistic quality of the work?

5 Likes

Yeah, but colorization is actually making a comeback for entertainment features as well. I don’t know if any of these efforts are showing up on cable or broadcast TV, but DVDs and Blu-Rays are being released. I think it’s a relatively small number of releases currently.

1 Like

There’s a compromise here. Keep the playback rates fixed, but have Netflix enable users to slow down their own progression through time. As long as I can watch an hour-long show in half an hour, I don’t care whether it’s because the video is playing at 2x, or my screen and I are moving 2x faster than the rest of the universe.

8 Likes

time-1 time-2

14 Likes

Interpretation of art requires two parties. A sender (the artist, director, etc) and the receiver (me). The artist can control how s/he encodes the message. I control how I decode it. When you take away my right to decode art on my own terms, you take away my agency as a person.

For example, Ferris’s First Thanksgiving (c.1621). Ferris clearly had a message he intended to communicate with this painting. But as a Native American (or anyone for that matter), you have the right to interpret the message differently than the artist intended.

The artist only has ownership of the interpretation until s/he puts that work into the public sphere. Once you elect to share something, you must also allow a person the right to interpret it, ignore it, or to receive it on their own terms (including additional or counter narratives beyond your own). It’s the entire foundation of fair use and I would argue then entire definition of art itself.

9 Likes

So HDCP is a crime against humanity?

3 Likes

Something we can all agree on!

7 Likes

The artist only has ownership of the interpretation until s/he puts that work into the public sphere.

The Visual Artists Rights Act complicates things. Remember this?

VARA wouldn’t cover Ferris’s work, since he’s dead, but that particular painting was intended as a piece of “Pageant of America”, a series of paintings chronicling American history. The theme of “historical narrative” could only be grasped if viewers saw all the paintings together. Apparently, Ferris kept all but one of the paintings, and made money from licensing prints.

2 Likes

So what’s everyone’s opinion of slathering ketchup all over an expertly prepared ribeye steak?

ETA (read: it would be ridiculous for a restaurant to ask a patron to leave for doing this, even though it may infuriate the chef)

3 Likes

Darn all those deaf people who want to engage with a work.

5 Likes

Does Mr. Apatow have some strong opinions on acceptable screen sizes, view distances, contrast ratios, black levels, ambient temperatures, unacceptably crunchy snacks; and interaction or lack thereof between audience members to enlighten us with as well?

Once you’ve decided that the audience is nothing against the genius of the creator within the event horizon of Art; surely you have a few other details you’d like to specify…

6 Likes

They need to work on limiting how long some of their shows drag on. Take their hit series, “Dark.” Interesting visuals, good premise, good acting, but it just churns on repeating the same stuff over and over. and over and over. The 3rd season seems to be a pointless slog. You could watch it at 5x speed and not miss a damn thing. Just because someone decided that a season should be 8 or 10 episodes, if you don’t have enough plot and story, don’t just fill up the time.

To each their own.

That’s a surreal fantasy on the part of the artist. There’s no way there were Spaniels in the Americas at the time depicted.

2 Likes

Same as the policy for people who request steak cooked “Well Done.”

6 Likes

Darn all those visually impaired persons who wish to engage with a work.

2 Likes