Netflix pulls episode of political news show after Saudi Arabia complains

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/02/netflix-pulls-episode-of-polit.html

2 Likes

In Saudi Arabia “reasonable expectation of privacy” extends to members of the royal family who want to keep any dismemberments they orchestrate private.

11 Likes

Imagine the kind of publicity Netflix could have garnered for itself if it had made an announcement that it was receiving pressure from Saudi Arabia to remove the content, but refused because it was important social commentary and Netflix holds itself to higher standards than simply bowing to whatever whim a murderous family of gaziliionaires may have that week.

10 Likes

I was confused until I saw it was only pulled in Saudi Arabia. Not shocking a murderous dictatorship has all the trappings.

14 Likes

Yeah: I’m more shocked that Netflix is available there at all.

11 Likes

I would be more surprised if this is the first show Netflix has ever pulled in a country due to political concerns.

6 Likes

Given a choice between making a lot of money and getting some fleeting positive publicity for taking a moral stand most corporations would say oh look here comes Season 3 of “Stranger Things.”

9 Likes

I mean, it’s either pull the episode or get kicked out of the country… I don’t understand why people expect companies to be able to force governments to accept them, that’s just not how the world works.

3 Likes

Not to mention corporations tend to not be interested in flagrantly breaking the broadcasting laws of the countries they broadcast in, and winning brownie points in other countries also doesn’t mean getting 100% of their content banned from Saudi Arabia helps at all either.

But seriously, did they announce any season 3 info?

3 Likes

Oh yes indeed!

4 Likes

Netflix holds itself to higher standards

You realize they had made a multi-year, multi-movie movie deal with Adam Sandler?

It wasn’t really that high in the first place

8 Likes

“Smithsonian pulls NAMBLA erotic art exhibition after US complains”

“Poland cravenly cancels Polish government after occupying Nazi forces complain”

etc.

Do they have staff in KSA? If so this could get them killed.

2 Likes

When evil people have all of the money, this is what we get.

1 Like

Did Adam Sandler do something bad? Or is this just a jab at his acting chops?

When the boss calls - you take that call.

7 Likes

He keeps making awful movies for one.

7 Likes

More recently:

The bill, which carried a criminal punishment of up to three years for phrases connecting the Polish nation or state to Nazi war crimes during the Holocaust, had majority backing in Polish parliament last year and President Andrzej Duda signed it into law in February.
This caused an immediate backlash in Israel, where officials said it set a dangerous precedent and could result in Holocaust survivors going to jail for wartime testimonies. Meanwhile, in Ukraine, the law prompted concern that accounts of Polish pogroms against Ukrainians could become outlawed.

3 Likes

OTOH:

12 Likes

As analogies go that’s not a great one.

6 Likes