Nevada deputy who took $50,000 from a man ordered to return it

If you’re a cop, duh.

But anyway, isn’t this exactly equivalent to saying “The Sheriff’s Office didn’t understand the law”? I’ve heard a few face-saving admissions in my time, and that’s… not a great one.

3 Likes

I do hope that the voters in the area decide otherwise; but I can easily see how that could actually spin nearly perfectly: “Sheriff X, rugged lawman, man of the people, friend of Real America, and defender of public order, is too busy protecting You and Your Children and Getting Bad Guys Off The Street to be aquainted with every too-clever-by-half trick that liberal trial lawers are using to let perps walk on a technicality and defeat the ends of commonsense Justice with their fancy lawyer talk.”

Don’t make it too mawkish and obvious; but that’s the set of themes to evoke.

1 Like

As Wrybread mentioned a few posts ago, “ignorance of the law is no excuse” is a common phrase in police and legal circles. That should be doubly true when the ignorance is on the part of police officers, who are supposed to uphold existing laws, not make up new ones on the fly. It should be triply true in regards to DAs and other legal officials. I wonder how many times that DA has told defendants that “ignorance of the law is no excuse?” By conveniently forgetting that idea here, he is providing support to deputy criminal, and should be punished for aiding and abetting.

Restitution to the victims and unpaid re-training for the perpetrators should be mandatory in cases like this.

4 Likes

In the flexyourrights link, they advise you to say no if you’re asked if you know how fast you were going.

I always thought that saying you didn’t know how fast you were going could be taken as an admission of reckless driving, and that they ask that question because if you were actually speeding it’s a catch-22.

Wuddya mean? They let a lesbo host the goddamn Oscars fer Crissakes!

/srcsm

In the flexyourrights link, they advise you to say no if you’re asked to consent to a search of your car. Or rather, "“Officer, I know you’re just doing your job, but I don’t consent to searches.” This is a right of refusal protected by the Fourth Amendment. So, how in the world is Stop and Frisk legal?

Also, does anyone here know just how well that kind of polite refusal tends to go over with the various authorities who stop drivers and ask to search their cars?

2 Likes

When I read that comment, I hear Patrick Warburton’s voice in my head.

1 Like

Yeah that didn’t seem like a really good response to me. I mean, if he really wants to give you a ticket and you say you don’t know…
“Do you know how fast you were going?”
“No, officer.”
“Tsk tsk, 125 in a school zone!”
“What! No I wasn’t!”
“You just SAID you didn’t know.”

What criminal activity was the money supposed to be involved in?

That dog could certainly use $50 grand! It’s not mentioned in the article, but he is a high-profile investor in aggressive growth funds.

2 Likes

This one has bothered me also. I’ve tried to figure out how to respond without sounding like a smart-ass (which is just the first step toward getting a beating).

The above is almost certainly saying too much, but without explicitly (or tacitly) invoking the 5th amendment (which might result in escalation of the situation) what else can you say?

The police invariably ask that questions along with “is there anything in your car I should know about?” because enough people tell the truth - yeah - i was doing 45 in a 25 or they tell about the illegal gun in the console or the 1/4 oz of weed. They ask the questions because people answer.

The best answer is, “no, officer, I don’t”

1 Like

Do police officers actually ask the question “Do you know how fast you were going?” - I haven’t gotten a speeding ticket in 20 years, but the one time I did, the officer didn’t ask me that.

I would find it incredibly difficult not to be sarcastic in my response to this question. I imagine my response would be something like:

Approximately, yes, but I don’t know the exact number.

Not admitting any guilt, but admitting that I do know how fast I was going.

1 Like

In what frame of reference officer?

4 Likes

Physics? Now, that’s a paddlin’.

1 Like

Most likely marijuana. Their Facebook page mentions training in spotting outdoor grow-ops. Pretty common in that corner of northern California and Nevada, though I would have through NV was a bit dry for it.

Criminal Law

So, will he return the money, or use the prepared photo to claim that his dog ate it?

Probably never
http://www.fed-soc.org/publications/detail/supreme-court-rules-that-civil-forfeiture-is-not-punishment-for-double-jeopardy-purposes

In the flexyourrights link, they advise you to say no if you’re asked if you know how fast you were going.

I always thought that saying you didn’t know how fast you were going could be taken as an admission of reckless driving, and that they ask that question because if you were actually speeding it’s a catch-22.

I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with far too many officers on the side of the roadways. Here’s my boilerplate answer to this question. ‘Do you know how fast you were going?’
Depending on the situation either:

I don’t know my exact speed because I was concentrating on keeping with the flow of traffic.
or
I believe I was traveling close to the posted speed limit.

Neither answer admits guilt and both answers relay to the officer your intent to travel safely.

A more commonly asked question is ‘do you know why I pulled you over’ and a simple ‘no sir’ will suffice.