Never walk through the Rotherhithe tunnel

Originally published at: Never walk through the Rotherhithe tunnel | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Monty-Pythons-Flying-Circus-S03E01-48c21219586a760071e834b98ddfd_phixr

15 Likes

Entering that without a full respirator just seems foolish.

7 Likes

That short history tells a lot about how car traffic expanded into and then took over what was first shared infrastructure. Car traffic shares road space the same way lions share gazelles with hyenas :confused:

25 Likes

Is this the same tunnel from “28 Days Later”?

7 Likes

Obligatory

8 Likes

Another place where the car has won. Which is not to say that there won’t be a day when pedestrians take it back again.

13 Likes

“This is stupid. This is a stupid idea. I am stupid.”

Well, at least he’s aware of his own short comings. Interesting video journal, but much like the videographer, I’m going to have to give it 1 out of 10, would not walk myself.

4 Likes

I was curious when he mentioned it was the 10th most dangerous, so I found

5 Likes

I walked through it during some part of lockdown when I expected traffic to be lower. It wasn’t too bad - even though it turned out there was plenty of traffic. I certainly wouldn’t recommend making a walk through part of your daily commute, though.

7 Likes

You think that’s bad:

21 Likes

My first thought as well. It really looks like it.

1 Like

Mmm carbon monoxide poisoning…(at least a touch)

1 Like

“20 miles per hour” “<x> Yards ahead” …seems like a fair (post-Brexit) place to ask this, as a knuckle-dragging imperial units yank, we get justified grief from all the world for still using miles, feet, gallons; so one is shocked (shocked) to discover much/any imperial measures still at use in the UK? That is, briefly put down your kippers and a pint and tell us: do you think in kilometers or miles 'erenow?

1 Like

Plan B: Call a taxi to get you out of there.

What’s the cell phone reception like?

1 Like

Oh, absolutely, roads and railways in the UK still use miles, yards, long tons (2240 lb), etc., and beer is still sold by the pint (20 fluid ounces, not 16, but the fluid ounce is slightly smaller). A British pint is 568 ml, a US one is 473 ml.

That’s also something to be wary of when working with recipes from the opposite side of the pond. The cup, pint, quart, and gallon are quite different.

5 Likes

Why do they need two tiny, unprotected walkways? (obvious solution implied in question)

1 Like

Probably because a single pedestrian walk on one side would cause the opposite side traffic lane to be much more height restricted.

4 Likes

No that is the older Blackwall Tunnel, you definitely do not want to walk through it (no pedestrian walkway), walk 2 miles east to the Woolwich Ferry.

2 Likes

You Brits and your new-fangled, steam powered “imperial” gallon. We’ll stick with Queen Anne’s Wine Gallon* thankyouverymuch.

*except for fruit, which is sold in pints or quarts based on the larger Winchester bushel.

2 Likes