Nevermind what Silicon Valley thinks of women, what the hell is Newsweek thinking?

Their graphic designer should be fired… out of a cannon. Between the artifacts and descenders, this isn’t even fit for a school project.

I didn’t know Newsweek still had a print edition. I thought there was a big announcement a few years ago about it going fully digital. Who is editing it, now? Is it still Tina Brown?

3 Likes

“Um hi, Hello Kitty here. Actually I do have a mouth but usually my fur covers it.”

9 Likes

I can’t wait for the Clickhole take.

1 Like

She pretty much never stops talking in the cartoons.

5 Likes

Wait, let me guess what gender you are …

1 Like

Myth…plausible!

4 Likes

Yeah. Mansplainers never seem to get that using sexism to point out sexism isn’t doing it right (let alone that mansplaining, instead of listening and/or asking, isn’t doing it right either).

9 Likes

If they don’t have eyes, you don’t have to worry about them saying “Um, my eyes are up here…”

1 Like

Just remember: Hello Kitty is a British little girl, NOT a cat. Yes, this is the official story according to Sanrio.

1 Like

Let me guess what gender you are. Oh wait, is that insulting and kind of an idiotic generalization?

3 Likes

Guys I have a confession to make.

This image satisfies a pointer fetish I did not know I even had until today.

(If anyone needs me, I’ll be in my bunk.)

21 Likes

Nah, it’s fine with me if you’ve come to realize that women usually have better insight about these things. :wink:

6 Likes

Could it be a thinly-veiled commentary on an absence of scents?

Unless you’re Kurt Cobain, it’s “Never mind.”

2 Likes

To those involved in the “Sup Marxists?” thread that wanted to know how Critical Theory was inculcated in to popular culture… yea, this is how.

Most everything in popular culture is designed to bestow upon you a cynical opinion of your culture.

What do you mean “this”? What is how? I have studied a bit with regards to critical theory, and I don’t think it appears to be so inculcated. Maybe a bit in academia.

Since so-called popular culture is made by a small minority, they are not really in any position to know about my culture. And I have no evidence to assume that theirs is actually popular.

Hi popo, good to hear from you again.

What I am referring to is the message of the Newsweek cover- that somehow Silicon Valley culture is misogynistic. From the cover alone we can assume that the outcome of the article is not going to be in favor of the, supposed, good-ole-boys club. One does not need to be versed in Marcuse to get the message.

Popular culture is designed to create a cynical attitude.

You may think yourself an exception( arent we all? ). But most people are conformists and will subscribe themselves to the opinion of what they perceive to be the most popular…

Popular culture is designed to create a cynical attitude.

EDIT: My new tagline: “Popular culture is designed to create a cynical attitude.”

Personally, our (female and male) brains are not quite exactly built the same by nature. That said, I have found in my 33 years of building networks, programming, etc, that women are generally better programmers and men are better engineers.

Women certainly have a place in Computing, but are underutilized because of teaching bias in our schools against women generally learning the mathematical sciences, IMO.

I think with women’s liberation getting stronger, even taking strength from movements like the LGTBQ society. I think women have been and will be more utilized in computing, comparatively to the corporate past.

40 of the code breakers for the Bletchley Enigma Colossus were women, after all.

If I may, an old story about computing in my family, please just edit this part out if you wish, mods.

Back in 1972 my father made a deal to create inventory control that suggested what to buy base upon sales and time of year, payroll, etc for a prototype Cogar C4 super-mini 8bit computer. It had 8K of RAM, a 10MB HD the size of a washer, with replaceable multiple 10MB cylinders, a modem and terminal out of direct contact use that I do not remember the bitrate for, a duel tape drive that I do not remember the capacity for, and an impact printer that sounded like a machine gun.

My father had SWEDA POS cash registers through his three liquor stores. The tapes taken from these cash registers were directly used in the tape system of the Cogar. These cash registers were certified tamper-proof by the USA IRS. Evidently, they had some sort of encryption that was deemed unbreakable by the US government and trusted explicitly.

With my fathers programmer, uncle Eddie I call him, and my father’s Lehigh University engineering experience, and my mother, they decided to take a shot at cracking the SWEDA cash register’s encryption. They sat down and began.

It took my mother 15 minutes to see the pattern.

With the now cracked SWEDA registers, my father’s and Eddie’s experience to implement what needed to be done, they conned the IRS out of a lot.

One main con was to put the expensive wine near the front of the store. They would sell it, pocket the cash (early 1970s), report it stolen to the insurance and IRS, and profit all the way around. We always had expensive bottles of wine at dinner, and I have always drank:

I’m sorry if I have offended anyone here, this is just my opinion through my experience.

4 Likes

Maybe not the absence.
Ever managed to jackhammer into a forgotten cesspool?

1 Like