Nevermind what Silicon Valley thinks of women, what the hell is Newsweek thinking?

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Yikes… maybe Newsweek thinks most silicon valley women are refugees from Office98 clip art?

9 Likes

Well, Xeni, it looks like Newsweek is simply trying to give an accurate illustration of what Silicon Valley thinks of women, eyeless and all…

15 Likes

They’re saying women are perceived as having no vision.

j/k. I have no idea what it means.

Also, why did they put the baseline right below the top of the red newsweek logo for the top headline? That slash descender dropping into the red is giving me a literal headache.

2 Likes

DCT artifacts like whaaaat?

Apparently the boys over at NewsWeek are “Hiney Men”…

I dunno - I kind of like it. The style and colors at least.

Perhaps the lack of eyes is a statement on women seen as objects, not people?

10 Likes

Still better than Hello Kitty. All cute and no mouth, so she can be seen but never heard.

Newsweek. The rag that ran the ‘Heaven is Real’ article.
Pffft!

5 Likes

All jokes aside, I think it is supposed to be a computer icon to tie the implications of sexual harassment with silicon valley.

2 Likes

I can’t place it with certainty; but isn’t the skirt-disturbance/turned head thing an allusion to a relatively common occurrence in pin-up paintings? (And in Steamboat Willie, when the crane hook has to adjust Minnie Mouse’s skirt).

That’s what’s sort of odd: the pose appears to be going for a pin-up allusion, with a cursor added for topical relevance; but the flat, vectory, low-detail, eyeless, clip-art style is utterly unlike what any of the recognisable pin-up artists used. And if it isn’t a recognizable reference to them, it’s just baffling and pervy.

5 Likes

The female figure is being depersonified through the exclusion of eyes. And the arrow is lifting her dress, not going up her ass. I think it makes its point (hah!) well.

12 Likes

Yes, this seems to be a case of Xeni seriously not getting it. The image with the headline is clearly implying that Silicon Valley thinks of women as nothing more than two dimensional (obvious) objects (no eyes) that are there only for their instant (hence the pointer) gratification (lifting up the skirt).

If anything, the artist did a pretty good job.

Unless of course the point Xeni was making is that you can write about sexism, but an illustration to summarize your point is going too far.

27 Likes

Point-and-click sexual harassment is so old school. Multi-touch is where it’s at these days.

17 Likes

Newsweek is the worst.I once had to teach a class in remedial reading, and our textbook was Newsweek. God, the stuff I’ve done for money.

5 Likes

Next week: What women think of Newsweek.

Any suggestions for cover graphics?

5 Likes

Which it would’ve been looking like doing if the pointer was on the usual angle… but changing the angle is a bit of a design fail, IMO. Still, nowhere near as bad as what’s giving @pfooti a headache.

Complaining about the stylized woman lack of eyes is like criticizing 8-bit Jackhammer Jill lack of nose

12 Likes

Agree with a lot of the comments here. Newsweek did a pretty tasteful job of getting the point across without sexualizing the subject (but illustrating that the subject–a woman in the workplace–is being sexualized).

I think Xeni’s Outrage trigger finger might just be a little itchy today.

10 Likes