New $50 Kindle Fire won't recognize third-party ebooks

I would suggest the Google app for reading it allows you to bookmark from your computer, laptop or tablet has expanding features to make reading more fun, lots of fonts and other features and allows you to toss books into your tablet from any other device. I can upload dozens of books from my computer and when I open the tablet they are all there for me to read. I am a voratious reader and have about 18k books at my disposal. The Google Play Books app was my choice after trying them all.

Yeah, Aldiko is nice, and so is Moon+. (Though I tend to favor Google Play Books overall.) But unfortunately, you can’t install apps from the Play Store onto the Fire. Which means I’m pretty much limited for the Fire to what’s available in Amazon’s appstore.

Huh? You sure can sideload and install apps.

The books are there. They only show up under documents.

1 Like

There is no “documents.” All that’s there in the main area of the kindle app screen is “All” and “Downloaded” for books.

Under the “hamburger” next to “Books” at the top left are categories for “Books Library,” “Storefront,” “Collections,” “Goodreads,” and then a bunch more categories from the on-line store.

In the upper right are icons for changing how your book is sorted, launching Goodreads, and your shopping cart.

There is no “documents” anywhere to be found in this app. I’ve looked.

Would you like to be more clear about where such a thing might be?

Well what is that docs icon on the home menu screen?..lol

Firstly, that’s not part of the Kindle app, which is what that section of this article is about; that’s an entirely different app on the tablet. Someone wanting to read e-books would use the app associated with e-books, which is to say, “Kindle”.

Secondly, on my tablet the “Documents” app only shows items that have been sent-to-Kindle, are in the cloud drive, or are in internal memory. There’s no listing of documents on the SD card at all, nor can I find a way to make it switch over.

Don’t short out “robotech” you want to read sideloaded mobi files that’s what you got to do.

What is what I got to go? So far, your suggestion hasn’t actually shown any of said files.

Books in local storage under documents. If you have all your other stuff on the SD card than the space is more than enough for you ebooks.

Not suggestions bruh. Files need to be .mobi then when you open them under documents they open just like they would in the books/library section.

Any questions. No attitude just trying to help.

Dude, here’s my “Books” folder on my SD card, which has like 1,200 books in it.

And here’s my Documents program. Note the empty “Books” folder at the bottom.

Even leaving aside that they should show up in the “Kindle” app, since they’re e-books and a Kindle is what you read e-books on—as they do in a hardware Kindle, such as a Paperwhite, if you sideload—they simply aren’t there in this app either.

I didn’t think Cory was personally communicating that he didn’t know how to do it. His readers don’t…

Would you say that you’re disappointed?

I understand that. But the share sheet is basic functionality. It’s the equivalent of “Copy to” on an iPhone. Would it be fair to imply that a PC doesn’t support having multiple copies of a file because some users don’t know how to right-click on a file? That was kind of the impression I got.

The point is, with this Fire, you don’t get the same basic functionality you get with a Kindle. A Kindle will recognize you’ve loaded e-books into its memory, index them, and keep track of your place in them when you stop reading. This $50 Fire tablet, which is supposed to be better than an e-ink Kindle…doesn’t, unless you put them in its internal storage—its internal storage which is already skimpy even by tablet (or even by smartphone) standards.

The whole point of sticking this 128 GB SD card slot in is so that you can keep all your media on it, reserving the precious internal storage for apps and such. That being the case, you would expect the Kindle’s e-book reader app to track such books if you load them onto the SD card, too. But it doesn’t. And while opening them from a file system browser might let you read them that time you open them, whenever you turn the tablet off it will completely forget your place in the book. This is a step backward from the e-ink reader.

(And don’t even get me started on how Amazon prevents third-party EPUB readers that it carries in its appstore from being installed onto the Fire at all, even though it’s perfectly capable of running them.)

1 Like

Is this a problem specific to the fifty dollar Kindle Fire, or is shared with other higher priced Kindle Fires?

This is absolutely the case. But what Corey wrote was that tablets and phones are hard to side load on to. My point is that it’s actually very easy to side load an ePub on an iOS device using. People like to ding Apple for being very closed, but this is a case in which they’re quite open. If you have a basic understanding of the affordances of the operating system, it’s dead simple to an ePub into whatever app you would like, provided the developer has used the tools available to her or him.

As far as I know, it’s shared with all the new Kindle tablets. Which makes it even worse, given that you’re paying a lot more for the higher-priced ones and they still fall short of a cheaper e-ink reader.