New cars that look like old classics

These are on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Instax-Classic-Instant-Camera/dp/B00FR85IRK. About 125.

3 Likes

if you want a custom made instant camera that uses modern instax film.

Also that would set you back about 650 USD.
https://mint-camera.com/en/shop/cameras/tl70-gen2-complete-package/
they also sell restored classic SX70s. With new electronics inside for about 370.

11 Likes

One of my pipe dreams has been converting a Karmann Ghia to all electric, but even the beat up ones are fairly expensive, and DH would probably balk at having it parked in the back yard while I spent a decade doing the conversion :slight_smile:

5 Likes

UGH. I’ve always wanted one of those. But the longer I don’t have buy something stupid money the more expensive they get. Anything air cooled and Volkswagen seems crazy these days. Otherwise their stuff would probably fit the fuck with it mentality pretty well. There’s a million Volkswagens out there, often in shape that makes restoration weird. They made them forever and have a huge owner base, so they don’t have the same parts drying up problem that highly collectable cars are often hitting these days.

In a similar vein I’ve seen a lot of Triumph TR4s and TR6s converted to electric. Given the reputation of Triumph’s engines it would seem to be a good move. And the things seem to be staying cheep. There was a decent running one in crazy good shape near me for a price that was down right reasonable last time I was looking for cheap used cars. That and the 70’s Buick station wagon for sub 2 grand with a garage full of spare parts really tempted me to toss out the “reliable beater” idea.

1 Like

I liked almost everything about the new GTO except its looks… it didn’t look anything like any older version of the GTO, and somehow managed to look more boring than a 90s Grand Prix.

I liked when people started making aftermarket body parts for VW Bugs that would make them resemble '37 Fords or Rolls Royces.

11 Likes

That may be - definitely not characteristic of Pontiac’s typical over the top styling (RIP). I quite liked it’s sleeper looks even if it wasn’t particularly inspired.

2 Likes

I looked at their prices, and it just does not make financial sense to me. For a quarter of what those cost, we can take an original car with a bad or outdated engine, replace the drivetrain and suspension with that from a late model corvette or similar, put in good leather, and restore the paint and chrome much better than original.
Maybe I can see the Jaguar, because of the rarity. But the mustang and mini? If you are going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to build a car replica, do something rare and interesting. My choice would be a De Tomaso Mangusta.

5 Likes

I’m sure they sold well, I’m sure they offered a delightful ride, and I’m sure they have a high resale value…but godamn that’s one of the ugliest cars around.

2 Likes

Making this accessible is a job for the maker community and larger 3D printing.

3 Likes

In retrospect. The Aztec was pretty much ahead of it’s time styling wise. That superlarge SUV with the massive entry back…and use of rubber for clean up, is pretty much a normal now. It was introduced in 1999.
It looks more like modern SUV of 2017, than any car of the 1980 looked like any car of 17 years in the past. It even had built in 110V powerplugs in the back, and a way to control the radio, CD from the trunk. Because they had camping things like this:

Also, it had ‘angry eyes’…which at the time was rather off putting. Today…most cars have angry eyes.

6 Likes

The Aztek was and will always remain horribly ugly car as far as I’m concerned, but it was definitely pretty innovative for its time.

6 Likes

“Cross-eyed” FTW!

1 Like

I believe people just want something that looks great. Modern cars are so very dull.

The Lister Knobbly. Now that’s a car.

Ha - bloody reminds me of something or other. Can’t quite remember what! Nurse! More medicine!

13 Likes

I’m also in the hater camp. The moment I saw Walter White driving one, I knew that guy was a sad sack. Brilliant example of showing character through prop choices.

8 Likes

Evolutions…

Back in the 1970’s, Mike Hailwood raced this…

…leading Ducati, in the 1980’s, to sell these…

…which inspired the creation, at the turn of the millenium, of these:

4 Likes

Ha! I saw something similar on the streets of Minneapolis a couple of years ago and loved it, just had to snap a pic:

6 Likes

It’s not without irony that after appearing in Breaking Bad that the Aztek gained popularity in the used car market, especially among the millennial set.

2 Likes

You would like the Barber Motor Sports Museum.it’s also located at the site of a very good race track. https://www.barberracingevents.com/higpa-home.php

Also the Museum looks like the best “Hot Wheels Garage” ever.

3 Likes

Here is a decent series 3 for 20K. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Land-Rover-Defender-Series-3-/132144286298?hash=item1ec469ca5a:g:6~IAAOSwsW9Y3pdv&vxp=mtr
If you bought that instead of the 100K series 1 in the article, you could spend the other 80K on hookers and blow, or whatever.