New cars that look like old classics

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1934/Studebaker/6A-Dictator/2-Door-Convertible-Roadster/Values

I really hate its looks.

The Edsel is :thinking:, but the Aztek is :nauseated_face:.

3 Likes

As a very young child in the 70s I always used to like seeing Gremlins. Now I have no idea why.

I’d buy you eleventy thousand monkeys.

3 Likes

They’re… pretty odd. I don’t think they’re ugly per se, but it does look like someone ran out of time designing that back end. #BringTheBootyBack

1 Like

I owned a Gremlin for about three years. Never has a car been more aptly named.

4 Likes

I suppose there’s a bunch of safety regulations that make it difficult to build exact reproductions of old cars

Isn’t this kind of a good reason not to make them? Like we aren’t talking about a teapot or a grandfather clock, these are machines that kill people on a regular basis, and the older ones were much worse.

Maybe the real question is whether we should worry about what a car looks like at all. Just buy a plain one and spend the extra money on teapots instead!

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted eleventy thousand monkeys

2 Likes

And eleventy thousand green dresses?

But not real green dresses, that’s cruel.

1 Like

"people think I’ve got the power because I’ve got the monkeys. Nope, Ive got the power because I’ll let the monkeys loose"

1 Like

I’m surprised the Pacer hasn’t gotten a modern reboot. Despite it’s crapiness, it’s an icon with distinctive looks, the last in the beginning of the era in which cars all started to look the same.

2 Likes

IIRC the way the pacer and the gremlin were developed was basically that AMC was hurting for small economy cars. So they essentially just took the front end of one of their existing full size cars. And pretty much stopped about halfway back. The pacer was basically the later attempt to put some thought into the concept. Smooth it out a bit. Make it work better.

So you basically ended up with these compact cars that were all front end, big engine from a full size car with a teeny hatchback bolted on. They look cut off because they kind of were.

Sadly AMC doesn’t exist anymore. Bought out by Chrysler, converted into Jeep and then bought out by Fiat. While in theory they still own the marks and designs. I don’t see them bringing out a retro redo of a small, not very good economy car. Given how the entire Fiat relaunch was predicated on the relaunched 500. That small cars are cratering in the US market. And that basically the only successful US models Fiat Chrysler has are the Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee.

AMC relaunch would be rad though.

I would love a restoration/update of the old Dart. Grandad had one when I was little and… looking back it had ripped up seats, was loud for the wrong reasons, probably handled like crap… but it was grandad’s car. It’s kinda like seeing a racehorse at the end of its life. I wonder what it could’ve done in its prime.

2 Likes

Not a fan of the current holder of the Dart nameplate?

3 Likes

Not quite probable, the latest cars look like they have come from some outer space. One fact i noticed is that there is a trend followed by each brand. One that goes in with the trend being followed by the competitors while the other where all the cars of the same brand speak for themselves that they are from the same stable.

This would be fun to do with an Opel GT. I always liked their looks but they were underpowered and totally unreliable mechanically so the collector’s market hasn’t made them hideously expensive or desirable.

4 Likes

Ironically, the car pictured is not an original, but one of the 1990s revival Minis, so it was itself a “new car that looked like an old classic”. This is an original Mini Cooper:

4 Likes

The original Mini was made from 1959 to 2000. The Cooper, a sports version of the Mini, was made from 1961 to 1971 and revived in 1990.

2 Likes