New close-up images from NASA's New Horizons show Pluto is as complex as 'anything we've seen' in solar system

[Read the post]

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to the Kuiper Object flyby, to ascertain whether Pluto really is “not a major planet, but instead the king of the Kuiper belt.”

4 Likes

“a diversity of landforms and complexity of processes that rival anything we’ve seen in the solar system”

That is, unless you accept that Earth is part of the solar system.

The largest canyon in the solar system isn’t on Earth. It’s on Mars.
The Tallest Mountain in the solar system isn’t on Earth. It’s on Mars.
The widest network of canals in the solar system isn’t on Earth. It’s on Mars.
The largest storm in the solar system isn’t on Earth. It’s on Jupiter.
The deepest ocean in the solar system isn’t on Earth. It’s on Europa.
The prettiest rings in the solar system aren’t around Earth. They’re orbiting Saturn.

EARTH simply isn’t that special.

3 Likes

I hope the informally designated Cthulhu Regio will stay as official name

2 Likes

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Besides, we were talking about complexity of processes. None, or at least, few of the other planets, moons, asteroids, and comets have any biological processes.

2 Likes

I knew I should have made my list longer, so as to bury the joke. Alas.

It’s a stupid rock. Trust me, I live there.

Mostly Harmless. in other words?

4 Likes

@Mister44 explained it over there: Someone should wrap straw around the rock

2 Likes

But what if it would be the last straw?

2 Likes

True, but the sentence was preceded with “landforms”

So if we proceed on that line then we could be talking about geological processes.

I’m just disappointed that we didn’t find a secret Alien base preparing for the invasion of Earth. Unless it’s in the Flat Splodge (I think that’s the official name), and has been censored out.

Like Fwiffo would ever actually get up the courage to invade.

Okay, that needed a Google.

Personally I reckon I could have jumped out of that hole given what we now know about Pluto’s gravitational field.

Yes, we could be talking about geological processes. And we could also be talking about biological/ecological processes which affect geography.

It’s full of parasites, too, who can’t seem to get their shit together.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.