New computer/laptop (windoze OS) advice needed

if you are not gonna tote it about everywhere it should hold up just fine. still you should see about the options i pointed to earlier in this thread. while expensive as hell new a refurb latitude or t series is gonna be cheaper, durable as hell and they are designed to be easy to fix the basic things on. that one not so much.

See here just to replace a drive if needed.
On the business class ones there will be a single screw on the bottom panel and out pops the hard drive from the side.

edit just noticed not quite the same model, but thats kinda standard for the consumer grade machines.
edit 2 that model is a bit less of a pain

3 Likes

Iā€™ve just bought a refurbed i5 thinkpad to replace the one I stood on some time ago (which as I metioned in the thread, is my new ā€˜minimalistā€™ stereoā€™. Cost a hundred quid plus delivery with a bonus extended battery pack. I fucking love them. Also, they are the perfect size to hold and read comics if you rotate the display & hold it like a book.

2 Likes

What, exactly, is an ā€œi5 thinkpadā€ - searching brings up the Intel i5 processor, in leonovo models. And when you say ā€œhold it like a bookā€ - does the display rotate all the way around to lie flat on the back like a table, or youā€™re holding the keyboard on one side?

Everybody who is touting thinkpads ā€“ what is the awesome appeal of them?

I will note that my primary purpose is as desktop machine, but that I like to be able to tote it downstairs as needed (Watching kids while working) or taking it to an event.

This is an x201, so an older one, but like I said, cheap as shit. As for the screen thingummy, no, I just rotate the orientation of the display 90 degrees (which makes using the nubbin or trackpad a challenge, letā€™s say. but then you can hold it like a large book & hit the spacebar to turn the pages so Iā€™m re reading Transmetropolitan and Saga :slight_smile: ). Theyā€™re great little machines; solid & well built.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure that I could ride my olā€™ refurb ThinkPad down the stairs.

5 Likes

Besides the overall solid build, they have great deep-throw keyboards - next best thing to a desktop keyboard - hardware maintenance/repair manuals are free online, replacement parts are pretty easy to get and the machines easy to open and work on, driver updates stay current as operating systems change even for very old machines, etc. When you buy them with factory warranty, their service is quite good as well.

My daily laptop is the old X201t that Gilbert is talking about (it wasnā€™t quite so cheap when I bought it new, and has an i7 instead of an i5 and an SSD) and havenā€™t had any desire to change even though it seems very dated beside my wifeā€™s X250.

3 Likes

What Thinkpad does la Doctorow wield these days?

Internets suggest he has an X250?

1 Like

I wanted a linux machine for professional work. I have a novice self-help IT level of competency. Thereā€™s also limited availability of linux support for lawyers. I need the drivers to work reasonably well. For deadlines. I canā€™t have a lot of bullshit or any delays.

I forget how I found Lincoln Durrey and Emperor Linux, but I did.

Lincoln has been ultra responsive, and he built me kernels for two machines. (Iā€™ve had two in 10 years).

Theyā€™ve been bulletproof Thinkpads (ā€œToucansā€) except for occasional (maddening and inexplicable) line skipping while typing. And I love the track button ā€¦ Iā€™m glad they restored it.

Three caveats:

1. The added help and awesomeness of Lincoln makes an expensive box more expensive.

2. I get the feeling you have more tech experience and ability than I have. You may not get as much newbie thrill from practicing with a linux box and dual booting to Windows only when forced by proprietary malfeasance.

3. I think you have artistic talent. My friends with talent tend to use high-powered Apple boxes (which lets them also practice CLI commands if so inclined). I have no discernible talent. But if I could make digital art like yours, I think Iā€™d get the Mac equivalent of the Thinkpad.

P.S. Bought the consumer model Lenovo Ideapad from a different internet vendor once. Train wreck. Stay away.

2 Likes

Carly Fiorinaā€™s latest turn in the news inspired me to get this:

12Gigs ram, and a 17" screen - more than I was planning on getting.
Maybe I should have saved $200 and gotten something smaller.
Eh, who knows.

4 Likes

I have 17" laptop. If you donā€™t tote around everywhere as a habit it will be fine. If it will sit on the same desk with a proper keyboard and mouse plugged in most of the time it should last quite awhile.
At the least prop it up so the bottom is raised at bit for better air flow when the fan kicks in.

2 Likes

That looks great! Like @TobinL, for working, I mostly keep mine plugged into a more comfortable standing monitor and keyboard setup. Mine is smaller and lighter, but thatā€™s because I need to work away from work too much for a larger machine. At home, I often wish for a wider screen.

I got a HP 17 inch factory refurb from woot ages ago (came with Vista) for the wifeā€™s home machine ā€“ itā€™s still going, but is definitely showing its age.
That one looks like a nice replacementā€¦

Edit: just noticed:
First Sucker:
Ā Ā Ā Ā OtherMichael

1 Like

Itā€™s doubling the memory I currently have, and has an extra 2" of monitor (I have a standalone 22" next to it).
Canā€™t work without 2 monitors!
ā€¦
wish I had 3ā€¦

Anyway. We shall see what happens!

4 Likes

That one has about 5.3x the memory in our current one (which is at itā€™s max capacity). It is still a decent olā€™ machine, but is just a bit too anemic for Windows.

you may want to get an SSD at some point.

Baby steps.

The d**n laptop shut down unexpectedly again today; glad I finally got a new one orderedā€¦

3 Likes

Lappy arrived on Tuesday, and I am slowly setting it up. A little faster, now, that my old one died 3 times last night while I was looking up passwords*, etc. AAARGH!

* you know, those ones you never put into a password manager but left in your browserā€™s storage? Or, worse yet, relied upon the browserā€™s storage to log into your password manager? Theoretically speaking.

The video-out is HDMI only, and my 22-inch flatscreen monitor takesā€¦ whatever and DVI. So Iā€™m f**ked on that account. Shouldā€™ve looked that up, first.

UPDATE: okay, looks like I can get an HDMI to DVI converter, so Iā€™ll order up a cable and converter later todayā€¦

4 Likes

Great now I picture you like thisā€¦

5 Likes

Now I do too, and I kind of like it.

Converter-cable arrived today, and I got everything setup within minutes. When I first started using this monitor back with my old WinXP machineā€¦ years agoā€¦ it took a couple of weeks before I figured out how to get everything clear and sharp. Ironically, the best picture was with the older cable ā€“ the drivers didnā€™t like using DVI and so it was blurry.

3 Likes