New discovery about maple sap could revolutionize syrup industry

Ah yes, the difference between Price and Cost.
Something the University of Vermont seems not to have thought of either.

Yes,
Monoculture have been such very good things for the planet and life on it.
Just put them stumps in there nice and tight like, we’ll bio-engineer ourselves some “Round-up Shrub and Brush”-ready saplings.

I’ve got a bridge I’d like to sell you.

For a small price, I assure you.
You heirs can make the payments.

My family made maple syrup at our cottage one year. There were four of us and about 12 trees (20+ traps) with buckets on each tree and using the sauna’s big wood-fire water boiler to boil down the sap. The temperature went unseasonably warm that long weekend, and stayed just above 0 all night.

This meant the sap kept running all night, so we (okay, my parents) spent more or less 48 continuous hours running up and down the hill grabbing full buckets and wending our way through the unlit, drizzly, chilly, slippery forest with heavy buckets of sap (harder when you’re 12). (We kept the sauna warm for much of it so we could defrost…)

The final product was wonderful and lasted us about 5 years, but we all agreed that if we sold it commercially, it would be about $1,000 per bottle.

The best part (at least for us kids), was that for the next year, we all smelled faintly of maple after we had a sauna.

5 Likes

Now we just need to start a new tradition that calls for displaying a small dead maple tree in our living rooms once a year. Pancake day? We could decorate the tree with flapjacks, rashers of bacon, sprinkles of hash browns, maybe frame a fried egg on top? I’m tellin ya - if we all got a day off work to sit around in our jammies, eat pancakes and sing breakfast carols all day around the decorated tree, a lot of people would be into it. Might even supplant some other tired old pagan festival.

1 Like

Don’t you love how it just gangs up on you like that? You participated in an age-old tradition of being totally overwhelmed by maple sap and morally unable to just let it flow into the snow. Good work!

2 Likes

Nothing in the article remotely implies this, so why do you keep suggesting it?

Is it that strange to you that you’d get 10x the yield by tapping every xylem in the tree, vs tapping a single xylem?

Furthermore, the market argument doesn’t cut it at all – there is already a market for HFC-laden “syrup.” Supply isn’t what’s keeping that market down – corn is much cheaper than this system.

I am offended by monoculture, not agriculture.

Dr. Evil is getting rather annoyed with Number Two’s non evil related business ventures.

Tree-fracking!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.