New Disney+ promo video fails to mention The Million Dollar Duck

I have The Boatniks on DVD. I had a comic book back when it came out, but I don’t think I saw the movie until much later, on tv. The package, however doesn’t include that poster, which I don’t remember.

3 Likes

Edit: oh, it’s on the list! Great!

8 Likes

For some reason The Boatniks is one of the movies they would show in elementary school when recess was rained out.

2 Likes

It’s “The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes”.

And it’s some of Kurt Russell’s best work.

6 Likes

My school would show Tron on the last day of school, in the cafeteria. Most of the kids had zero interest and would talk over it, which annoyed me greatly. I never got the full dialog until many years later, when I realized I wasn’t missing as much as I thought.

6 Likes

43 posts were split to a new topic: Should Disney release “Song of the South”?

Things missing that actually matter to some in my household

• Sheriff Callie
  • Doc McStuffins
  • Tinkerbell - 3 listed, 3 missing + shorts

Kinda disappointed in the missing Tink…they’re surprisingly not terrible.
/one for the thumb!

1 Like

Yup, can’t wait! :grin:

2 Likes

What you gave said is true and good, and Boing Boing is the better for it. Thank you.

5 Likes

Sigh. At least I still have this, jealously guarded since that fateful trip to Baskin Robbins in 1981:

7 Likes

its promo video.

They dropped the ball here, too.

Living in Tijuana, I get sent to Disney Latino, with no promo video or any sort of language choice (where the corporate page gives language options, but not the promotions page).

4 Likes

My family will have to wait for that Haley Mills marathon. The list is missing Pollyanna, In Search of the Castaways, Summer Magic, and The Moon-Spinners. At least they have The Parent Trap and That Darn Cat.

2 Likes

I loved that movie as a kid, thanks for reminding me about it. I’ll be streaming that with my partner for sure. :smiley:

7 Likes

This scene pops into my head rather frequently:

I was completely unaware that it featured Sarah Jessica Parker until now.

…and Paul Reubens is the voice of the spaceship!

5 Likes

I find The Million Dollar Duck exclusion acceptable, so long as Howard the Duck stays in Lucas’ vault…

1 Like

My god: that song from “The Barefoot Executive” was in my head just the other day (or the “he’s gonna make it” part popped into my head out of nowhere while trying to make a green light) even though I hadn’t seen it since I was a full-on little kid, and I was trying to remember the title of the film, then stopped thinking about it until reading this.

1 Like

I saw “Zulu” a couple of times when I was at Junior School; not a Disney movie, and an odd choice for a Christmas Film at a Catholic School.

Did they also show you “Zulu Dawn”, said to cover a tike period before “Zulu” but not quite a prequel? It came out in 1971.

I don’t remember many movies in elementary school except shorts. Though we did go one afternoon to see “Oliver!” at the theatre.

one teacher read us “The Snow Goose” and another “Miracle on 34th Street” (those last days before Christmas holidays), and since they were made into movies, kind of like a movie at school. “Movies of your mind”. Another teacher played that famous recording of “A Child’s Christmas in Wales”.

2 Likes

The only reason I know about some Disney movies is because in the late seventies or early eighties the local paper ran comic strips related to them. So maybe “The Black Hole” and definitely “Condirman” and “The Last Flight of Noah’s Ark”

What seems to be misding here are the “lesser” films, that were maybe only seen on the show. The one about Hurricane Hannah, the one about the boy sneaking into the USA with his dancing Chiuaua, and “Run, Apaloosa, Run” which my sister really liked, but which turns out to be about tge dustant relatives in Washington State. If I saw a list, there’d be others I’d love to see.

Then there was that period in the late eighties or early nineties where Disney issued remakes. So at least one if the Flubber films got remade (twice, once with the guy from “Night Court” and then with Robin Williams). Kirk Cameron in a remake of “The Comouter Wore Tennis Shoes”, in reruns the local.listings often assumed it was the original and I’d get excited, only to be disappointed when I tuned in.

Then of course Disney wanted to broaden its appeal, but at a distance, so Touchstone came along, with films like Splash!

2 Likes

Was lucky enough to snap up The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh when it was available on DVD. I love that movie, but Jibbers Crabst, it’s $500 now!

2 Likes