New Firefox has no-plugin video-conferencing

Admittedly i don’t know ghacks’ credentials reporting this kind of stuff so who knows where the server overload comment comes from but also why is it a staggered release if it’s p2p. Maybe they are hoping to reduce the number of support tickets or maybe they need servers to direct calls between browsers? I always applaud their openness, certainly compared to others, and their privacy policy states connections are encrypted with no access to content by them but i’d like to read more detail about what is going on here.

Since i’m unlikely to use this much what concerns me more is the slurping down of resources firefox still suffers from and since v.33 i’ve been seeing this weird rendering thing whereby i sometimes close tabs and the browser doesn’t seem to refresh leaving remnants of the previous tab overlaid on the open one that it reverts to. But still better than the alternatives for me, i do not have an ounce of trust reserved for the big G.

Thanks for persisting :wink: I wasn’t in the mood last night to figure out the problem and that has turned out to be Flashblock, which is incompatible with 34. Will be looking for other solutions. Now have 34 back.

I’ll ask the obvious question. Why do you run Flashblock when Firefox, for recent versions, can be set to only play/instantiate flash if you approve it?

See http://www.howtogeek.com/123986/how-to-enable-click-to-play-plugins-in-firefox/

WebRTC connection (which this uses) are encrypted by default in Firefox (if not for everyone).

Resource management for Firefox has gotten significantly better, version over version, for the past two years. If you’re seeing problems, the problem, 90% of the time, is some extension that has been installed. Extensions are often not so good at these things. For example, though Adblock Plus (or Edge) is wonderful (and I use it), it is also a huge resource hog. I’d suggest starting Firefox in safe mode with your extensions disabled and see if your performance improves. If it does, you need to turn your extensions on one by one until you find the bad guy.

You know I work at Mozilla, right? :smile: I’m the security program manager over there and the manager of our fuzzing team (as well as a 7 1/2 year employee of the company). I don’t always know the nitty gritty details of various features (like WebRTC) but I have a good sense of things.

Erm, because I missed that one !? I only started looking for a flash blocker when opening up a Daily Kos page which had multiple instances of flash on it and for some damn reason, the would all attempt to play at the same time. Really screwy. Also, am surprised I missed the How-To-Geek article. I generally follow that closely. Thanks for the heads up. This might actually help with a few other problems that could be related to Flashblock (which I’ve removed).

Edit: Hum, looks like the plugins.click_to_play value may be set as ‘true’ by default in 34…Nice.

Huh… you don’t say. I did not realise that but very cool.

Thanks for the tip though, i only have a modest number of extensions though adblock is one of them and noscript as it happens but opening multiple tabs really does start to eat into that old memory and the cpu fan starts whirring louder. Classic theme restorer freed up some memory when i got rid of it after it had cocked up the new interface layout particularly in the context menu. But yeah, obviously you can’t have tons of extensions and not see an effect, the portable version i use is a lot leaner as a result of fewer running.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.