New Jersey town paints crosswalks in bold Pride colors

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/09/new-jersey-town-paints-crosswa.html

10 Likes

and Kalamazoo! https://twitter.com/kalamazoocity/status/999706211456094209?lang=en

4 Likes

Does Heimdall control the traffic around here?

21 Likes

I am all for the message here but, isn’t that a little confusing?

3 Likes

It’s also a Unicorn Crossing, you will be fine.

13 Likes

I love it, but am also sad for what time, weather, and tires will do to that beauty.

4 Likes

I’m crossing it right now.

15 Likes

after NJ.com spelled the name of Maplewood correctly, after the words “openly LGBTQ” it transforms to “Mapplewood”-- an unintentional yet fabulous mistake

4 Likes

Is this a story? These are somewhat common. My home city has one, in the neighborhood affectionately called the Gayborhood.

I’ve got no problem with pride flags or banners but as a runner and cyclist I demand absolutely consistent, predictable, behavior from drivers to keep me safe.

This seems incredibly distracting. Crosswalks should be consistent and immediately recognizable even at distance or speed. Also lit at night.

There is also the matter of government endorsing or supporting one particular minority over another? Should government be doing this? When we have pride flags and banners go up, they are sponsored by private groups or individuals.

Where did you get that from this? That’s like saying the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial supports a particular minority over another. First of all, there’s no over another. It just supports them. And it’s showing solidarity with a historically marginalized group and their civil rights struggle.

Finally, I’m a cyclist and a motorcycle rider. I’m sure if people can handle obnoxious billboards and fugly architecture, they’ll cope with a colorful crosswalk. I’d be more worried about the drunk drivers and texting drivers than a rainbow at a minor intersection.

25 Likes

Frankfurt has a rainbow caroussell. Does that count?

16 Likes

Oh noes! Bright colors. How will people handle it? /s

11 Likes

It was almost a flawless concern troll effort until the end when you incorrectly played the identity politics card.

2.5/5 plus a bonus half point for no exclamation points for a final score of 3/5

13 Likes

I was stoked to turn on the Red Sox game Thursday night and see this:

5 Likes

Do you mind street signs in a Chinatown or Koreatown neighborhood having the street names also spelled out in the corresponding characters? I assume the municipality pays for the added cost to do that.too. We also have street signs that show that you are in a historical area, or a cultural area like “Avenue of the Arts”.

7 Likes

Is it bad that my only issue with the colorful crosswalk is that the arrangement of colors used is somewhat incorrect?

11 Likes

Can’t unsee that now. That’s what happens when you don’t hire Roy G. Biv.

12 Likes

Is it?

11 Likes

Never cross a Unicorn! They bear grudges and have sharp horns.

3 Likes