New Jersey town paints crosswalks in bold Pride colors

Maybe it’s the camera, but the indigo/purple on the outer perimeter. looks denim blue.

8 Likes

Slander!

5 Likes

Slim volume of self published poetry found in a second hand book store, or difficult second album title?

10 Likes

Horns? -------- Need 9 characters.

1 Like

Going by the actual color spectrum? Yes.

Also, I thought the original design was oriented so that the stripes run vertically (so no one color is above another?} I may be mis-remembering that, though.

Nailed it; that’s totally what’s bothering me, as well as that unfortunate shade of green.

Must be the type of paint they used.

5 Likes

The Computer is your friend.

3 Likes

They hunt in pairs :wink:

2 Likes

This could be a matter of government pissing in your corn flakes.

4 Likes

What?! Why isn’t the Government pissing in MY cornflakes?! Fucking favouritism! #makecornflakessoggyagain

9 Likes

San Jose has one rainbow sidewalk since 2016. And its stripes are designed so that the rainbow is never viewed upside-down.

1 Like

Uh-huh.

So obviously you have evidence to support your implication that a coloured pedestrian crosswalk distracts motorists and prevents them from recognizing it. Obviously you can cite the meta-analysis of peer-reviewed civil engineering research papers that demonstrates an increased frequency of pedestrian and cyclist injuries that occur at coloured vs non-coloured crosswalks.

Oh, no, wait, you don’t and you can’t. Because that’s bullshit.

You do realize that there is no standardized uniform designation for pedestrian crossings, even in the US, right. Sometimes stripes run parallel to the direction the pedestrian is walking, and sometimes perpendicular, sometimes at a diagonal. Sometimes the space between two parallel white lines is left blank, sometimes it’s painted. Oh, the lack of consistency! Oh, the confusion! Oh, the inability of motorists to instantly recognize the intended purpose of striped lines at an intersection!

It’s striped lines at an intersection. What the hell do you think motorists will think it is?

I was unaware that coloured paint prevents the proper functioning of street lamps within a 50’ radius.

Aaaand there it is.

Sorry, no, you are wrong. Pride flags have flown over my city hall, and provincial and federal parliament buildings. My governments support diversity and tolerance in a multiplicity of forms, offical, legislative, and symbolic.

As a cyclist and pedestrian, I find your concern driving trollies to be tedious, unconvincing, and transparently bigoted.

19 Likes

The original eight colours were each symbolic of a different aspect of lesbian and gay culture (Bisexual and transgender would come later). Pink needed to go somewhere, above red looks like it is the least worst option. Turquoise is in the right place, it’s just not part of the traditional seven colours.

That was the Flag of the Races that inspired the rainbow flag. I can’t find an example of it though.

7 Likes

It’s the shade of the hues used that bothers me aesthetically, be it bad lighting or poor paint quality.

Almost on tropic, since it was very Pride themed; Did you happen to see the finale of Sense8?

8 Likes

My understanding is that paint that goes onto a road has to meet requirements (reactivity, durability, etc.) it’s entirely possible that they used the best paint certified that could match the shade.

9 Likes

And sometimes there’s no marking at all, but it’s still a crosswalk and it’s still the responsibility of every driver to keep an eye out and yield to pedestrians.

Rainbow crosswalks are not a problem. The only problem I see in that intersection is the wide corner radius, increasing the crossing distance and enabling drivers turning right to barely slow down (and making it harder for them to see pedestrians about to enter the crosswalk they’re turning into). Bulbouts, please!

1 Like

That makes total sense, from a logical standpoint; I bet you that’s exactly why the shade value looks off.

:slight_smile:

My artist’s eye couldn’t help but cringe though, because as my friend said up-thread;

5 Likes

2 Likes

Did you watch the video? At 0:22, Dean Dafis, Maplewood Township Committee Member says:

…federal guidelines require certain code compliances to make this work as a proper crosswalk and it so turns out that this is also a public safety benefit because it makes the crosswalk more visible and more effective the drivers see it they slow down upon approach and so we get that benefit out of it as well…

12 Likes

[emphasis mine]

I couldn’t quite imagine how that would be, and had to look it up…

The very beginning of this video shows it well—the set of stripes is there twice, as mirror images of each other, starting with red at each side of the street:

[Looks like it’s just six stripes…red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet?]

3 Likes

That’s the current pride flag.

3 Likes