New Jersey town paints crosswalks in bold Pride colors

Ah! Thank you.

1 Like

I like it, but it does look a bit like a happy little ground zero.

2 Likes

Zach Weinersmith / SMBC Comics

6 Likes

True enough. I play a unicorn white mage in a Pen´n´Paper RPG a friend of me has created (we beta-test it at the moment), and there is nary a foe I couldn´t best yet.

2 Likes

Well in UK and much of Europe pedestrian crossings are striped parallel to the road not across it. I don’t think I recall ever seeing anything but stripes parallel to the road. I was expecting a set of coloured stripes replacing the classic black and white zebra crossing…

… and was for a moment utterly discombobulated by the picture shown. It’s just wrong - there was a disturbance, I tell you, a disturbance.

Something more like this would be preferable.

(image link seems to be broken - here it is)

3 Likes

That’s the way it is in Northampton, Mass, as well. Actually, the rainbow is painted in between the white stripes:

But I think, if there are stripes, and the cross the road, cars will see it. Who cares, as long as it’s fabulous?

9 Likes

How is it confusing?

1 Like

Reminds me of the stupid controversy about the “stop light couples” here in Vienna, which we have since 2015. It’s too confusing and a danger to society! Accidents caused so far = 0.

7 Likes

Maybe they could replace cat’s eyes in the road with rainbow glitter?

@Konservenknilch It took me a while to work out that the Straight Couple on the stop sign have butterflies in their stomachs.

3 Likes

How is the standard crosswalk there?

I am used to this:

And switching to the one in this article would be dramatic change in language, hence confusing.

On the other hand if you are used to what in the next picture is referred as “standard crosswalk”:

I see how this could be fine.

3 Likes

Yep, that is a lot less confusing to me.

Nah.
I’d say that is a small design change that builds on a more standard symbolic language.

I believe there are a few more:

11 Likes

What’s the word that means someone can be part of more than one minority group at a time?

Oh yeah… intersectionality.

17 Likes

NICE. Ok, we can shut down the thread, now. Brainspore wins.

6 Likes

Atlanta has one in Midtown, the queerest neighborhood in the queerest city in Dixie.

1 Like

Don’t even have to look both ways to see what you did there

6 Likes

Somewhere out there is a person who really loves rainbows but absolutely hates gay people, and they are just losing their mind.

5 Likes
7 Likes

You can find videos online of evangelical preachers lamenting how something that was once seen as a symbolic reminder of God visiting a global genocide with the Great Flood has been perverted into a symbol of inclusion and tolerance.

5 Likes