New MacBook Pro Touchbar justified

Windows Sideahow.

I had hopes for it. Followed it from inception to fizzle.

You are just not seeing the potential. “The first computer that lets you work out as you work! No need for expensive and annoying gym sessions!Only $3,999!” Bargain.

But you are not, in fact, getting that. You are not getting the 2016 equivalent of a 2012/13/14 MBP; you are getting a slightly more powerful Air. At Pro prices.

Somewhere in Bermuda, an Apple accountant is buying a new boat this month.

1 Like

My point is that thinner on a Pro machine should not be to the detriment of Pro features. If i want thinner i’ll get an Air. If i want muscle i’ll get a Pro.

I’m aware of the benefits of USB Type C but i’d rather not be forced to buy adapters for everything. Again for a Pro machine i’d want some versatility.

That extra space and weight you’ll save with the new MBP will likely be lost with all the adapters you’ll need.

But look, just my opinion. If you’re happy with them then i’m happy for you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

32-bit? LOL

2 Likes

You computer people are always making problems so complicated. Just add another bit! What’s so hard about that? :grinning:

5 Likes

But you could have more non-LP. Of course, to do that you should “just” use the 100wh batteries you used before. But we can’t do that, because it has to be THIN so that Air-buyers will move up a price point or two.

Intel fucked up in the last few years, sure - but in fairness, they are making life so much easier for any laptop manufacturer, giving them the same power for less and less energy. They cannot be blamed when Apple sacrifice those gains for their own commercial gain (aka greed).

1 Like

I love my lenovo t430s. It was expensive as all hell (but I didn’t pay for it), and linux support for the intel chipset is interesting, at best, but it is lightweight, and compact and built like a brick. I’ve had it for five years and I won’t be replacing it anytime soon.

3 Likes

What @frode_svendsen said. Go for the T series which are the business class models and they like Dell’s Latitude line are built quite solidly, to get any sturdier you are into toughbook range.
I have had both for my work machines and both lines can come with quite enough bells and whistles for a power user and will last a long time. They are designed for easy repair as well so just about everything short of replacing the screen or motherboard is easy for anyone to do.

1 Like

Does the spyware still come as standard?

1 Like

Not on those models which is part of the cost no shovelware subsidizing them. Also as they were work supplied well the factory image is moot anyway. Also the T series was always not part of the past Lenovo spyware stupidity.

1 Like

I have no idea how many times I or the Toddler has dropped the thinkpad from it’s lair on the sofa armrest down on the hardwood floor. So, far, no damage. Three cheers for SSD I guess…

I should probably move it, but it’s so convenient and I’d rather he learns not to touch :wink:

1 Like

Around my office we immediately started calling the new peripheral the emoji bar. Then somebody ordered one. Now it’s the whole laptop: “What’s the ship date on your new EmojiBook Pro?”

6 Likes

which is good because you wouldn’t be able to use lightening headphones without a lightening to usbc adapter/dongle.

apple has dongled up all their products…sighs…hint apple, you haven’t actually made a product lighter and thinner if the user has to carry around a basket of adapters and dongles.

@AcerPlatanoides the problem isn’t gambling, it is having a new leader that doesn’t know how to make good bets.

Hurray, Apple finally added a touch screen, unfortunatly they only made it 1cm high and replaced a vital part of the keyboard to do it. all the important apple keyboard stuff, esc, mission control, media player controls, etc. are all only there in certain contexts, like when the app is in focus, which totally sucks. also you can’t use the little strip without looking down at it because it is always changing and has no tactile keys. bah humbug.

3 Likes

I agree. I meant that they lost Steve, their unstoppable douchey perfectionist rudder. God I miss his eye for design flaws.

5 Likes

me too. for all his flaws he drove his teams to make some fantastic products.

2 Likes

I believe the malware was also not on consumer models.

Yeah, it depended on the model line. Higher end laptops tended to not have Superfish on them.

I’m just miffed that they got no new iMac. If Apple goes all in with USB-C with the iMac too I’ll have to buy approximately two dozen USB-A to USB-C dongles. Welcome to Dongle Hell.

5 Likes

Not that the Surface Studio isn’t without some drawbacks, but Apple would have really had to “think different” to go up against the Studio only a day later.

1 Like