New Retroid Pocket gaming handhelds officially support Linux

Originally published at: New Retroid Pocket gaming handhelds officially support Linux - Boing Boing

2 Likes

Oof, 2480x1860 is a rather unfortunate native resolution for integer scaling in a retro context though. 4:3 aspect ratio aside, 310x232.5 or 620x465 aren’t exactly standards.

For me, unless it’s a really massive display, the OLED+high PPI combination would be about better CRT faking so integer scaling doesn’t matter much anymore. I’m not overly sold on what CRT purists are selling but the use case is “shrouded in an old cabinet or somesuch, behind slightly smoked curved glass harvested from a CRT” and the like, so it’s all a game of looking terrible in just the right way.

1 Like

For sure it’d be fine for plenty of use cases. I was thinking more on the “recreating original hardware in FPGA” end of the spectrum. CRT effects on FPGA devices like the MiSTer aren’t quite as robust as the modern PC emulator equivalents and on simpler devices it’d be even more of an issue.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.