New scientific paper shows the Mandela Effect is real

Yeah, the visual history They want you to believe.

4 Likes

I wonder if there is some kind of pareidolia happening, at least in some cases, where “missing” pieces which would make logical sense are being “filled in”, so as to make more sense. It doesn’t explain everything, of course.

3 Likes

About the mandela effect…

I am obssessed with a melody I swear I’ve heard but as far as I know, having asked local musicologists and some curators, doesn’t exist.

I swear I’ve heard a version of Llullaby of birdland performed by Nat King Cole, in the style of Sarah Vaughan, not the style of Mel Tormé (which is a bit faster and swingier). I remember stumbling into it while practicing the song - I was in a chorus, although i think in US you call them glee club if they don’t limit to classical music? -. Replacing Sarah’s vocalization (the “ba-ba-ba” part), there’s now a piano performing the chords, then the smooth voice of NKC glides through the melody. I basically based my solo performance on that song.

Years later I remembered the song and tried to get it to no avail. Funny thing: Nat does participate in a duet with Patti Page, but is not that song (is performed in a very different way). Nat does have a disk of George Shearing (the composer of the song) covers but does not include that song.

As I said, I’m 99% sure the song does not exist, at least in this timeline, but I’ve heard it. I could sing it (saving the differences - I am not and will never be such a good singer as Nat King Cole). And this melody will haunt me until my dying day.

10 Likes

The Fruit Of The Loom thing is killing me :flushed: :exploding_head:

ETA: How would the researchers even know about this without some kind of privileged knowledge? It’s not like fruit of the loom and especially its logo is ever part of any day-to-day conversation!

11 Likes

7 Likes

So, my little library growing up in north arkansas had a tape of these bears, and we bought it at a book sale. It’s long since died out, but it most definitely said “Berenstein Bears” on it.

Now, the easiest explanation being likely the truth, it’s likely this was one of the numerous amounts of copied VHS tapes that flowed through libraries with fake labels and fake boxes. But since we bought it, had it, used it at church and everything else, a whole generation of kids actually DID watch a tape with the name of “The Bearenstein Bears”

6 Likes

Hmmm. Maybe we were wearing FotL knockoffs?

21 Likes

Is this your own photo? Or did it come off the Web? What’s its provenance? Regardless, that’s EXACTLY the logo I remember.

7 Likes

That was ripped from the web. I did an image search on reddit and found that.

Honestly, I don’t remember it either way. FotL wasn’t in my country during my childhood, and I never really went for whitey tighties as an adolescent (or an adult).

5 Likes

Hmmm… so possibly Photoshopped, but strange that someone’s 'Shop would precisely match my own recollection…

5 Likes

I apologize. I meant no offense, but I clearly committed one. I’m sorry.

8 Likes

It’s amazing that in this age of almost unlimited information, so many people continue to cling to their convictions, given copious evidence to the contrary. I have no doubt that these people honestly believe their memories are accurate. But their memories are not reliable, because of the way memory works. If I think something used to look a certain way, and I’m shown conclusive evidence that no, it never looked that way, I’m inclined to believe the evidence, and not my flawed human brain. It’s weird, and it feels bad, because I rely on my brain, but I can’t cling to unreality. Now, you show me that someone published an altered version of the thing I saw, and I find out that even though it was never an official version of the thing, it stuck indelibly in my brain, I won’t feel so bad, because the mistake happened outside my brain. As to why so many people acquired the same false memories in the study, I’d say that the people altering the images used in the study probably altered them in the way most obvious to them, a way that wouldn’t make the image look fake, and so it’s natural that other human brains would key to that change and accept it. And as we’ve seen, once you’re shown a memorable image, even a fake one, and it becomes part of your memories, it’s hard to accept that you might be wrong.

1 Like

Anyone else think the bottom rows of text look like kanji?

1 Like

More evidence that there was once a cornucopia in the FotL image (maybe just in some markets?). This album dates back to 1973, and seems to be parodying an existing (likely contemporary) known brand logo. The parody doesn’t work if there was never a cornucopia in the logo. It’s CENTRAL to the joke. There’s something weird going on here, and it’s not as cut-and-dry as a mass delusion. (Note that I’m NOT saying that reality has changed under our feet - simply that we don’t know what’s going on - there’s probably a prosaic explanation, there’s just not enough info available to reveal it)

5 Likes

Yeah, me too. And there are vintage tshirt collectors who collect print tees that used FotL as base shirts who track and catalog the various tags to confirm they are vintage etc.

I recently threw away some OLD ass underwear, but I switched to boxer briefs like 20 some years ago and no longer have any FotL lurking.

But I will say memory does weird things over time.

I remember a Doctor Who Alien reveal which stuck with me/scarred me ever since I first saw it. Only I SWEAR this alien was RED in my memory.

When I went to go look it up one day, I was SHOCKED to find out it was actually green.

4 Likes

In the Berenstein Bears timeline, Trump lost the 2016 election. I’m still trying to get back to that parallel universe.

15 Likes

This is exactly the logo I remember. For a moment reading this thread I was questioning my own grip on reality :crazy_face:

8 Likes

I’m just curious what could be going on here, other than false memory. Because the company surely knows about this dispute, and could easily say one way or the other if there was ever an official logo, on a national or local scale, that was drawn that way. So are they trolling, either to keep people talking about the brand (or just because they’re an eeevil corporation), or do they not think it’s an issue worth their time, or what?

3 Likes

Sad Kristen Bell GIF

10 Likes
7 Likes