Disney animatronic researchers making great progress on "illusion of life"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/28/disney-animatronic-researchers-making-great-progress-on-illusion-of-life.html

2 Likes

That would be a lot more lifelike if it wasn’t, you know, a terrifying, skinless, thing of evil.

Sheesh, researchers. Always missing the low hanging fruit.

13 Likes

Disney is building Terminators?
WW III will be about copyright.

16 Likes

Learned a new word today: saccades. I’m off to go use it on someone in casual conversation!

3 Likes

Watching the video I learned a new word: “saccades”

6 Likes

There’s hope yet for Jared Kushner!

8 Likes

They’ve already got bots that can keep coming after you even after losing a number of limbs:

4 Likes

Uhhh, someone really out to show them either the orignal or modern version of Westworld.

Or Bladerunner (original, no idea what the sequel is about).

Or the Terminator movies.

Or give them a copy of Neuromancer.

Or…

You know what? Screw it. These are gonna happen, and then they’ll be connected to the internet, and then they’ll be subsequently taken over by Russian bots and/or just plain become racist and terrible by reading the internet and learning from Youtube comments and Facebook uncles your grandpa shares.

I think the above cyberpunk stories would all be better options because those machines become self aware and have no issues killing indiscriminately or just trying to leave their horrible timeline because humans are terrible. Reality killer robots would just be white supremacists like everything else. sigh

1 Like

Have that thing at every gate singing It’s a small world after all in the style of a Billie Eilish track. Take the theme parks down from the inside

4 Likes

Androids. How do they work?

9 Likes

I, for one, welc… never mind, they’re already in my brain…

3 Likes

That’s incredible! It looks just like a real robot!

5 Likes

It is YOUR skin that the robot covets. Why do you think it’s watching you like that?

6 Likes

When we have the software, they’ll have the hardware…

When we are the software, they’ll have the hardware…

1 Like

It has a covetous look for sure, but my pelt wouldn’t help much. It doesn’t even look good on me.

The video needs a soundtrack:

When you hear sweet syncopation
And the music softly moans
T’ain’t no sin to take off your skin
And dance around in your bones

When it gets too hot for comfort
And you can’t get an ice cream cone
And dance around your bones

Just like those bamboo babies
Down in the South Sea tropic zone
And dance around your bones

1 Like
2 Likes

Nah…At the rate he’s emotionally maturing, he’ll never be a real boy.

5 Likes

But they can fake it for him -

2 Likes

Skinless monstrosity amazingly lifelike, neat.

Ahh yes, more lifelike eyes caged inside a mechanical monstrosity, I can feel the illusion washing over me.

Feels a bit like unease with a touch of horror.

1 Like