New smartphone has more RAM than a Macbook

Pretty much my thought. 16GB is starting to push into content creation territory. It’s hard to use that much as a consumer, but easy once you start building apps and datasets entirely on the phone.

1 Like

Whenever I use a really high end phone I tend to think “this would be a great computer… if it didn’t run Android / iOS.” Samsung’s desktop mode is about as good as it gets, but it’s still stunted garbage compared to something like Ubuntu.

Well there’s this sort of thing, which I like the idea of, though it needs an input device or two:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/compute-stick.html

But I’m surprised there hasn’t been more in the way of phones that become desktops. I’ve seen the idea floated a few times but it never really happens.

2 Likes

Samsung has their Dex DeX Mode | Device Multitasking | Samsung US which they push from time to time.

The issue tends to be app support more than anything else. Android apps tend to have pretty shaky support for resizing windows, etc.

Also a laptop is pretty compact as a practical matter compared to the usb hub plus usb monitor plus keyboard plus mouse plus additional battery you need to replace it Which tends to mean that you are replacing desktop setups and non workstation ones of those are slowly going away anyways.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.