New Smithsonian exhibit on Disney theme parks focuses on how the parks reflect American culture

Originally published at: New Smithsonian exhibit on Disney theme parks focuses on how the parks reflect American culture | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I wonder at the timeline for putting this together. Is this an intentional thing that was conceived as a “fuck you,” after the battle with DeSantis began?

6 Likes

We’ll know for sure after that Governor’s Hall of Shame entry in Cooperstown, followed by images of him eating an all-American pie with his fingers. :wink:

Kenan Thompson Eating GIF by Saturday Night Live

8 Likes

I was there at the Smithsonian exhibit today. It really approached it from all angles, both describing efforts aimed at inclusivity as well as critiquing a lack of representation through much of Disney’s history. It explored ads, photos from patrons, maps, and personal stories.

5 Likes

Two things.

1. Welcome to BoingBoing

Joining Welcome Home GIF

1. That’s pretty typical for the Smithsonian. They are always willing to address prejudice and discrimination in our history.
4 Likes

Thank you for the welcome! After walking through most of the Smithsonian museums over the past week, I’m glad to see that brutal honesty still prevails and is typical at the Smithsonian. Forced Smithsonian tours for all elected officials?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.