Disney's response to DeSantis' threats? "Pride Night"

Originally published at: Disney's response to DeSantis' threats? "Pride Night" | Boing Boing

13 Likes

While this is awesome, Disneyland and not Disneyworld? It would have more sting over there.

We used to have legit gay nights here at the park as private events that were amazing.

15 Likes

The “Gay Days” in Orlando are still very much a thing. While they historically haven’t been “officially” endorsed by Disney the parks cash in by selling a ton of rainbow-themed food and merchandise during that event.

20 Likes

Disneyworld is off-brand Disneyland.

7 Likes

Well to this day, they insist Walt take the blame for it.

7 Likes

Mind Blown GIF

8 Likes

Disney has been quietly celebrating same-sex domestic partnerships since 1943.

30 Likes

During his news conference, DeSantis floated the idea of raising taxes on Walt Disney World

DiSantis tried to take away their ability to pay more in taxes for local infrastructure! The malicious dope can’t figure out how to attack his new (very litigious and media savvy) enemy.

18 Likes

The Streisand effect, but with an added three snaps!

damon wayans snap GIF

14 Likes

I would think Disney understands that LGBTQ+ and allies don’t want to ‘vote with their wallets’ against their own interests by traveling to Florida.

16 Likes

The oppression the good governor is using against Disney for bucking his, uh, leadership, will also be used to keep everyone else under his thumb. The GOP, The Party of Freedom™, terms and conditions apply.

4 Likes

I love a perfectly justified call-back to Men On Film, but are you sure that isn’t a double-snap?

4 Likes

Yes! Thank you. I’d like to submit an official correction.
And just the style of mentorship needed too, bravo. :sparkles:

3 Likes

Goebbels was no match in a fight with Disney, and he was more adept than Florida’s cut-rate Fuhrer.

4 Likes

My experience going to Disneyworld was: Wow, They dropped Disneyland in a large space and stretched it out all weird.

9 Likes

So if that was your main reaction then I have to assume that you were fortunate enough not to have visited in, say, August.

2 Likes

Maybe it’d be preferable for Disney to directly comment on the anti-woke brigade, but the policy of such a gargantuan company treating them like ants and essentially saying “these assholes do not exist and will not be acknowledged” is still pretty powerful. Even if it is purely profit-motivated.

6 Likes

It was a few decades ago. But more the flow of the place was so weird compared to how tight the transitions were in Disneyland. Moving from land to land in DL just works better.

4 Likes

Yeah, I definitely agree that the difference in scale and flow is jarring. Disneyland fans sometimes like to say that Disneyland was a park designed by Walt as a place to enjoy with his daughters, whereas Disney World was a place designed by committee to host the masses.

But my comment was a reference to the unbearably hot & humid summer weather in Florida, which in my mind is the single biggest drawback to that park, at least during the summertime.

7 Likes

We went during it last year and it was really nice. It was “avoidable” if you felt the need to for whatever reason, but otherwise there was a lot of just subtle rainbow stuff in the stores and on vendors. It didn’t feel all that different from a normal day in Disneyworld, which is probably perfect - celebrate and call out if you want to, be subdued if you don’t!

4 Likes