Disney World welcomes the return of Gay Days

Originally published at: Disney World welcomes the return of Gay Days | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Ever since they realized a few years back how much money they can make from special food and merchandise the event is getting closer and closer to being official.

14 Likes

I like the new Star Wars Pride line they are offering. Marvel too!

12 Likes

I am literally enroute for Day 1 right now at Animal Kingdom. It’s seems all the more important to show support this year with the political shenanigans Florida has been pulling.

It’s fun to call Disney out, I know, but this year they are donating 100% of profits from merchandise sales of their pride collection to LGBTQIA+ orgs:

In the U.S., profits from the collection will benefit GLSEN, PFLAG, The Trevor Project, Zebra Coalition, Los Angeles LGBT Center, LGBTQ Center Orange County, San Francisco LGBT Center and Ali Forney Center. Profits from other regions around the world will continue to support local charities in those countries. You can learn more about these organizations and their incredible, impactful work by visiting TWDCPrideCollection.com.

34 Likes

Every now and then, I think it is OK to just take the win and enjoy it. Have fun!

23 Likes

I haven’t watched the new movie yet; did Disney finally let these two out of the closet?

chip-and-dale

9 Likes

OK, I’m in!! But then I made this, so I would be.

23 Likes

Their relationship is as ambiguous as ever. But they did reveal that a couple of the other characters were in an inter-species relationship and had a large family together.

7 Likes

I also wanted to discount their support of Pride as nothing more than a cash grab, but the fact they’re donating the profits of their merch sales pretty much kills that thought. I guess they’re still making money off of park visits and sales of non-Pride related merch, driven by people visiting the park to celebrate who wouldn’t have gone otherwise. But I can’t really begrudge them that.

7 Likes

desantis and fox spews meltdowns in 5…4…3…

11 Likes

Part of me thinks this could still be part of the response to Disney’s initial silence on Florida’s “Don’t say Gay” bill. Remember when they tried to make all the bad PR go away with an attempt to donate to the Human Rights Campaign, which was rejected?

But since they did eventually do the right thing, and at great cost, I agree it’s probably time to move on and just be happy about the money this is generating for good causes.

8 Likes

I don’t recall how that all started out initially, but I do know Disney spoke out against the bill at some point and the Repubs turned around and started threatening Disney’s private governing of their land. So I suppose one could also extend them a little credit for not backing down even when their ‘sovereignty’ is threatened.

5 Likes

This was only back in March but I agree with everything happening in the world it seems much longer.

Quick summary:

1. Disney was silent on the issue as the bill was about to pass.
  2. Folks did some digging and pointed out that Disney had made political contributions to all the bill’s sponsors.
  3. When called out on being silent, CEO Bob Chapek doubled and tripled down on the company’s official neutrality and said dumb stuff like the best way for them to support the LGBT community was to make great content.
  4. Chapek got a ton of bad PR for these statements, including a lot of public criticism from company employees, and tried to make the bad PR go away with a donation to the Human Rights Council. The HRC said they’d reject the donations until the company made major reforms.
  5. Chapek said the company would stop making political contributions in Florida (to both parties)
  6. Chapek eventually came out and said Disney was against the bill and would support repealing it.
  7. DeSantis threw a hissy fit and pushed through the retaliatory bill to revoke the special government status of Disney’s Reedy Creek Improvement District.
10 Likes

Ahh, so the classic about-face when it became clear the bottom line was going to be harmed.
This definitely casts their new round of charitable donations as a move for positive PR. Which is the next best thing to actual cash.
Business as usual then!

5 Likes

That’s awesome, I want that on a t-shirt.

9 Likes

So far I only have it on postcards but I’ll see what I can do

:+1:

11 Likes

Love it! Do you have a site to point us to in order to purchase your designs?

7 Likes

Oh, that’s good!

7 Likes

Thanks - I’ll DM you over the weekend rather than hijack this thread.

7 Likes

You’re welcome to post it here (or in the making topic, or one of your own!) I wager there are multiple people who would be interested in those designs. :slight_smile:

11 Likes