New tick menace has the potential to spread terrifying viruses

Moving to Antarctica. Bye!

4 Likes

I dispise ticks. My dad loved the great outdoors, and when I was a child I was dragged off to go fishing or camping every summer until I was old enough to say, “No thanks. I’m good.”

When I was three I almost drowned after our canoe capsized on a foggy lake, instilling in me a substantial fear of being out on the water.

When I was four, after one camping trip I ended up with a tick embedded in my nethers. A spot where a guy would REALLY not like to have a parasite attached. This was in the early ‘70s. The doctor my mom took me to used some medical pliers and yanked it out while I screamed. Luckily the head didn’t pop off, as they tend to do when you yank out a tick.

Ticks. Nature. Bah!

2 Likes

Let me be the one to say…

(And @jmv)
3 Likes

“Fuckin’ A”

And of course as an import, there’s not likely to be any awesome weird protective bit of evolution like there is with western fence lizards and lyme disease:

and for the more science inclined (sorry, only abstract):

http://www.journalofparasitology.org/doi/abs/10.1645/GE-738R1.1

2 Likes

Well, obviously it’s time to introduce a species to eat all the ticks. I mean, what could possibly go wrong.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.