New timeline of dino extinction day, 66m years ago

Yeah not much lasts that long. Of course what remains of the dinosaurs for the most part is not their bones, but minerals that have accreted in clay deposited around where there bones were. Glass and ceramics will remain. Imagine trying to re-create human civilization from bits of headlight glass within iron oxide deposits.

6 Likes

Clearly sacred items of extreme religious value, said every archaeologist ever.

11 Likes

There is a good chance sapient species 65 million years from now wouldn’t even think we were even intelligent life. There would be next to no signs of our civilization in existence aside from some bits of concrete and fragments of metalworking

3 Likes

66 My is “Every material thing currently in your field of vision physically changed and reconstituted, and it doesn’t really matter whether you’re at home, the office, Times Square, or Everest.”

Thinking about it makes my tummy a little wobbly.

6 Likes

No, Thursday is destruction day, even the Vogons know that.
Monday is bongo day.

7 Likes

Depends. Mostly on people actually putting something info all those time capsules.

1 Like

Continental drift, ice age or rising sea levels could easily be putting this stuff at the bottom of the ocean or inside mountains. 66 million years is a long time.

5 Likes

17 Likes

16 Likes

You are right.

Although I think when it comes to concrete, every currently formed piece would be long-gone, with maybe a kind of shadow cast in replacement fossils, or voids, at best, but I could be mistaken. It won’t be concrete, though.

4 Likes

Probably used for ritual purposes. (At the risk of annoying the same people who were annoyed the last time a thread went down this route.)

4 Likes

I read that an impact at that scale would cause land waves 100 ft high, so they would have to be pretty darn good jumpers. Also, that the shockwaves would have been circumnavigating the globe at the speed of sound, deafening or flinging or crushing anything in the air, and so loud they would have remained audible weeks to months later. Anything in the ocean would have been similarly deafened andcrushed.

Basically the survivors would have been small and short lived and light enough to survive being flung around, and to live long enough eating the scraps left behind to last until they could breed an uninjured next generation.

66 million years ago the dinosaurs died.
66 million years before that, it was still the time of the dinosaur.
66 million years before that, it was still the time of the dinosaur.
66 million years before that was the dawn of the dinosaur. Mammals have way too high an opinion of themselves.

21 Likes

Yeah, well THIS mammal had dinosaur embryos for breakfast.

16 Likes

You must be eating farm fresh to get the embryos too.

5 Likes

Tgere will definitely still be a lot of plastic.

1 Like

It must have been a Thursday. Dinos never could get the hang of Thursdays.

5 Likes

Looks like the first draft storyboard for an old Outer Limits episode.

2 Likes

Yes. There’s a lot to be said for present tense! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

so… dinosaurs on the moon then?

5 Likes