New York City's solution to overgrown brush and invasive plant species: goats

Originally published at: New York City's solution to overgrown brush and invasive plant species: goats | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Not just NYC…

13 Likes

Goats; the answer to so many of life’s questions.

14 Likes

Goats: sheep with attitude.

9 Likes

They used to use (and I assume they still do) goats to remove poison oak in parks around Berkeley. Just string up fence around it and let the goats loose.

10 Likes
8 Likes

Cleveland ran a trial goat mowing program for about a decade for our large number of vacant lots. The goats were better than a lot of the options before or after them, but they proved to be too much to handle on the administrative side. They still get a little use on weird slopes, but they found it way easier to schedule equipment and crews rather than goats.

7 Likes

We had a neighbor with horses who had a visit from a goat which had gotten away from its owner on the next ridge. The goat was there a little over an hour, during which time it had gotten loose again, figured out how to open the latch on the feed shed, and was munching away by the time the owner got there.

7 Likes

Smarter than the average ruminant.

7 Likes

And cuttlefish eyes; which is the frankly unnerving part.

4 Likes

Sheep go to Heaven, Goats go to Hell.

2 Likes

Seattle has used goats for brush clearing years:

to point that they were incorporated into one of Pemco’s “Northwest Profiles” ads:

4 Likes

This is my neighborhood! The goats are fun

4 Likes

After they’ve cleared the brush you can do yoga with them.

5 Likes

“What’s an environmentally friendly way to control weeds?”
“Who’s going to carry my stuff when I hike?”
“What kind of curry do you want?”

4 Likes

Overgrown brush

(TIL: A new - for me - meaning for an old word)

3 Likes

They’ve been using them to graze some of the Downs in Bristol. However, despite all the really fucking obvious signs, people kept walking their dogs through there, and inevitably both goats and dogs died.
They got some more from Wales though (some of the herd that invaded a town during lockdown) and they seem to be doing better.
Just keep dogs and goat apart.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.