New York Filmed in 1929 with Sound

we tend to switch around and sometimes use orange peel, sometimes cherry, and if we’re feeling all fancy we’ll use both. i love your idea of using dried cherries and soaking them in rye – where do you get your cherries, if i may ask? (online, or ??). i’ve tried making my own cherries, even going to lengthy, excruciating methods, with less than satisfactory results. i’m definitely up for trying your method.

1 Like

Just get a bag of dried cherries from any local grocery store. No different than anything else (method works well for any dried fruit…we do this for summer sangria garnishes with peaches and mango and other drinks).

you have to make sure you seal the mason jar well, make sure it is clean. and while it isn’t totally necessary for small quantities, if you do it with larger amounts (that may take longer to go through) refrigerate it. Just to be safe.

maybe that was in a studio where the camera noise would bounce off the walls? in the open air, the sound might dissipate better? was also wondering if the camera was hand-cranked but probably not since the speed is very steady and the sound-synch isn’t pitch-shifting at all.
Also, a production I worked on had a very old 16mm camera and part of setting up the shot was “blimping” the camera, which was wrapping it in some kind of pillow-y cover to kill the shutter noise.

2 Likes

I vaguely recognized the name Rudee Valley, but not sure why.

1 Like

Probably from old cartoons. But here is a clip of the real thing he was a pop music star of the time.

3 Likes

Good rye bourbon!

1 Like

well. for a Manhattan I prefer straight bourbon…it melds better to the classic flavor profile of the drink. An Old Fashioned originally was Rye based with that smokier and spicier flavor notes to it…again, something I prefer.

Makes sense when you think about it. The M adds multiple flavors to the party between the vermouth and maraschino liquid. Where as the OF going back to original recipes really only had rye, ice, and a twist in it with a splash of bitters (which was really a whiskey sour back in the 1800’s). The modernized version which generally is based on the pre-prohibition version having sugar, bitters, and then the whiskey lends itself to a spicy and deep flavored rye.

My favorite/go-to is Mad River Rye - simple sugar cube, 3 dashes bitters and bar spoon of hot water (I add in the bar spoon of luxardo liquid if I am feeling particularly cheeky), muddle and then add the rye. stir well to combine. add a block ice cube, and then orange peel around the rim and in the drink.

and now I need a drink.

2 Likes

not sure i’ve seen straight-up dried cherries. i’ll have to check. all i can think of are those soft “Craisins”-type things, and i’m sure those aren’t right…

Yeah…DON’T use those.

my main local market carries these:

Bob’s Red Mill has good stuff:

And another local fresh market has their own package dried fruit.

This is true of much of the area. Jersey City was 60K more than it’s current 250k, and that was before the tens of thousands of units of new development where there were rail yards on the waterfront. There was also much more mass transit prewar, with trolley lines everywhere, and the long gone elevated trains on 9th and 2nd avenues.

3rd ave, 1896. Public transit paradise of trains and trolleys.

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2016/12/when-manhattan-had-elevated-trains/508670/

3 Likes

ahhhh, i didn’t even know that Bob’s Red Mill sold such things. Tart cherries are definitely a plus, yes. thanks – now i know what to look for. : )

1 Like

Wow, there’s so much open space on that street people are able to walk across it easily. Imagine all of those trains and trolleys replaced with typical 1.2-occupants-per-vehicle private autos. Ground level and one elevated level probably wouldn’t be enough - you’d need a three storey road just to hold all the cars - and forget ever crossing it on foot…

I don’t know why I expected there to be more horses.

They didn’t have camera blimps yet in 1929. Maybe there were two trucks, one for camera and one for sound. That would certainly have helped space-wise. Equipment for either would have been pretty damn bulky in those days.

Exactly what I was thinking! Looks like an estimate of about 2% of those walking were female. Weird. And 100% were white.

Just a few months before the big stock crash, after which they probably didn’t have the extra money for frippery like documentary sound and film of non-stars for quite some time.

But I would love to see what the marquees looked like in color.

I saw plenty.

1 Like

For the first few years, Hollywood was scarcely touched by the Great Depression. (Financially, that is. Warner Brothers in particular, frequently used it as a backdrop/subject of their films.) Then, for a time, there was a slump in attendance, but certainly not disastrously so. (Although the moguls surely thought it was.)

1 Like

Oh, I, I got a funny feeling when she walked in the room
And I, As I recall, it ended much too soon

1 Like

There are so many moments in these films to ignite one’s curiosity. I learned that Ramsay MacDonald was one of the founders of the British Labor party and it’s first Prime Minister. He arrived in NY on October 4th and this parade follows his departure from NY City Hall. He certainly would have been quite a hero to workers in NY, even though support for Labor softened during the prosperity of the 1920s. The whole world changed just 20 days later when the market crashed. Thanks to the identifying shout-out by the guy from Local 16 doing plaster work on the Chrysler building, I went on to learn that on October 16th, the Chrysler building officially became the tallest building in the world, surpassing the Woolworth building (perhaps the reason for the cameras). It was in competition with 40 Wall St, also under construction at the time. The developers kept adding floors to each building to try to be the tallest, with the Chrysler winning by adding the 125-foot spire at the last minute. Plans were already in the works for the Empire State Building and it soon became the winner of the “Race to the Sky”. On a lesser note, I looked up the Equitable Building, which is the double towered building identified at the end of the second film. My very first job was in this magnificent building, which was colloquially referred to by its address, 120 Broadway, as are so many buildings in NY. The interesting tidbit I learned was that it was built with no setbacks from the sidewalk–they weren’t required–and at 40 stories, it blocked so much light from reaching the street below that it became the impetus for the development of the city’s first Zoning regulations.

4 Likes