This footage of New York in 1993 will make you miss New York in 1993

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/20/new-york-city-in-1993.html

5 Likes

A: How many megapixels is that thing?
B: Dafuq is a megapixel?

10 Likes

High-def camera in 1990’s and earlier would have been a film camera. I bet if you looked at the recording you’d notice a more film-like framerate. Film on a nice bright sunny day isn’t too tough to bring in a lot of detail either.

2 Likes
6 Likes

I moved from NYC shortly before 1993. Don’t miss it at all! And I definitely don’t miss the hair or clothing styles.

8 Likes

I don’t miss the hydraulic elevators in the Flatiron building.

4 Likes

Live in NYC from 1991-2002 and have only been back once, I think, since. Friends tell me it’s incredibly different. But my question is: do that many people still wear suits to work?

5 Likes
10 Likes

Lived there in the ‘90s. What a place to be.

4 Likes

1080i, so 1 megapixel per field.

3 Likes

It’s not film. It’s a high def vhs. 1080i

6 Likes

Who’s this asshole? Is this some sort of out in the open NYC nazi party or is this just some ‘90’s “ironic” bullshit? He seems to be pretty defensive.

10 Likes

On reddit a number of folks said it was at the Hells Angels NYC chapterhouse.

11 Likes

Of course! I thought it looked familiar, but couldn’t place it. I guess I wasn’t off base with the asshole designation.

8 Likes

I don’t think that’s Hell’s Angels. It would have an angel wing, not the SS.

3 Likes

Nice bits of my old neighborhood. I miss 1990s New York, too - I had a great time there and then.

2 Likes

Could be he just got out of lockup and had to rep for the aryan brotherhood? I don’t know why anyone would ever be okay wearing the SS bolts. I can’t empathize with that impulse.

5 Likes

That’s the year I arrived in New York. From then up until the 2000 dotcom crash Manhattan was a really amazing place to live (usual disclaimer: at least if you were white). I miss it, too.

4 Likes

Nope it’s very early digital. From the video description:

3 Likes

No one is using a mobile device. No one is posting status updates. Weird.

6 Likes