This footage of New York in 1993 will make you miss New York in 1993

Here’s some Amsterdam 1983 footage, by Dutch photographer and filmmaker Ed van der Elsken.

If you’re impatient, you can skip to where he starts the voice-over at 1m45s

But you really shouldn’t :slight_smile:

1 Like

Vince Vega in happier days.

3 Likes

Sydney 1993:

3 Likes

Nothing like a little bit of upbeat smooth jazz to make me nostalgic.

1 Like

I learnt all I know about NYC from Friends too.

9 Likes

I went to an art gallery once that was showing some super 8 footage with some sad acoustic guitar music over it and I started tearing up, then I was like, HEY! Stop manipulating my emotions! I don’t even know any of these people or places!

2 Likes

Huh. I’m a Manhattan native born in 1956. I left for LA in 1995. Whenever I visit I remember that I don’t miss NY, I miss NY in the 80s. It’s been so horribly poisoned by money and the internet, there’s no going back. I was an actor and a temp, and I had an affordable 2-bedroom in midtown. Now I’m a suburbanite (though my kids deny that; they say we live in the city). Weird.

2 Likes

Same impulse that made punks wear swastika shirts?

The first bit is someone riffing on this (couldn’t listen to the second part tbh):

2 Likes

I’m more alongside the impulse that makes punks beat nazis to death with motorcycle chains.

Do they actually do that? The ones I meet just slouch about and ask people for change.

Anyway, the point is wearing something offensive for the sake of offending.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And it was specifically filmed as a tech demo for D-VHS IIRC.

If it wasn’t a white looking dude I could (almost) equate it to the (mostly black and Puerto Rican) Bronx street gangs of the 1970s that would have swastikas and iron crosses and such on their outfits.

1 Like

Some anarcho-punks will punch fascists, others are pacifists who are also opposed to fascism.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.