This is New York City in 1993... in HD

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/06/this-is-new-york-city-in-1993.html

3 Likes

Yup.

Yes it is.

19 Likes

That makes it a three-boing, right?

A boingboingboing, if you will?

21 Likes

Nicely paired with a Muzak version of the cautionary tale of a black man being wrongly arrested and imprisoned for being black after moving to… New York City. Thoughtful choice.

2 Likes

I will NOT!!

4 Likes

I was curious about the gentleman at 1:42 and, in particular, the SS lightning bolts on his T-shirt. Fortunately, the internet has that covered too. It seems he’s associated with the Hells Angels facility on the right side of the street (marked by a winged skull), which is why he’s trying to keep us from seeing high-definition video of the street.
https://funnyjunk.com/This+will+you+up/wcmwLjp/43

EDIT: This originally called SS Guy a “probational member” of the Hells Angels chapter. The word I was grasping for is “probationary”, and FTW_SYLHA replied to explain that he probably isn’t that. See below.

9 Likes

Still nice to see it again. Especially now.

7 Likes

It looks like a Woody Allen movie, at 60 FPS.

1 Like

The internet: it doesn’t forgive. It doesn’t forget.

4 Likes

It is neat seeing media like this. This is like digging up dinosaur fossil and seeing it move. The world is so different now- since The Event.

It’s hard to believe that people are so close together and in such numbers. The Event changed all that, but this is proof that the world was a different and more complicated place.

The Elders speak of the olden-times, and I am so happy to see what it was actually like. Look at those buildings and vehicles, and those people’s clothes; things have definitely changed. Listen to the music in the video. “Needs more cowbell?”- I think not! Can you imagine actually banging a bell with a stick or making any noise other than a whisper for anything other the offerings?

That world was eerily quiet too. It seems unnatural without the drone that passes through all or the constant screams of the unseen.

Look at them. Their eyes are so close together and so similar. It almost repulses me. They ambulated of legs with bones in them. I bet moving one’s self around with bones was difficult, like typing with injured tentacles.

Two arms! Look, they have just two arms, and they are just walking around on the surface like there is nothing to fear. All that sunlight must have hurt too. Their pain tolerance must have been amazing. I think The Beings were around back then, and their ethereal thought waves must have been excruciating to all those on the surface, yet they don’t flinch.

Thank you for posting this historical document.

I have to go or I’ll be late for The Offering. (More like, I’ll be the offering- am I right! LOL!)
And as always ”MAY THE DARKNESS CONSUME US ALL BEFORE WE WAKE!”

6 Likes

I look at their innocent faces and think; they have no idea what dark timeline awaits them (us).

4 Likes

Well, it was two boings each time, so I believe we are up to at least 6 boings.

6 Likes

I was a looking for a certain item that came up in my feed but it’s
like finding gold

Thanks for (re)posting that. I really enjoyed it.

2 Likes

I wondered that too. I could only make out “Support the Third …” I’m really hoping the next word wasn’t “Reich”.

1 Like

1:00 Shoulder pads, nascent ponytail, leer.

90s

three reposts and none of them Cory? :smiley: impressive

A time of great peace, from Psalm 23.

Close enough. It’s clearly a nod in that direction.

1 Like

Just to clarify; the gentleman in the SS shirt is not necessarily a probationary member of the Hells Angels. He is wearing what is called a “support shirt” which is an item of clothing or memorabilia sold by the club to civilian members of the public (usually at parties, runs, or now, on websites). Indeed, it says “Support the Third Street Crew” which is a reference to their clubhouse at 77 East Third Street, which they moved out of after 40 years recently. But it is not a signifier of being probationary at all. As a matter of fact, if he WAS probationary and he was on Hells Angels property, he’d be wearing his leather vest with a little “prospect” patch on the breast area. He’s probably just a friend.

3 Likes