New York property speculators have figured out how to evict everyone

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/29/working-homeless-families.html

4 Likes

Evil property developers destroying the lives of people? Man, this sounds like a TRUMPed-up story.

23 Likes

Old Man Trump
Words by Woody Guthrie,

I suppose that Old Man Trump knows just how much racial hate
He stirred up in that bloodpot of human hearts
When he drawed that color line
Here at his Beach Haven family project

Beach Haven ain’t my home!
No, I just can’t pay this rent!
My money’s down the drain,
And my soul is badly bent!
Beach Haven is Trump’s Tower
Where no black folks come to roam,
No, no, Old Man Trump!
Old Beach Haven ain’t my home!

I’m calling out my welcome to you and your man both
Welcoming you here to Beach Haven
To love in any way you please and to have some kind of a decent place
To have your kids raised up in.

Beach Haven ain’t my home!
No, I just can’t pay this rent!
My money’s down the drain,
And my soul is badly bent!
Beach Haven is Trump’s Tower
Where no black folks come to roam,
No, no, Old Man Trump!
Old Beach Haven ain’t my home!

18 Likes

Don’t you libruls understand basic economics? The NYC real estate situation is about simple supply and demand: the Invisible Hand of the Market (helped along by hiring a hobo to take his daily dump outside the apartment of the tenant the Invisible Hand wants out).

These corporate landlords are heroes out of an Ayn Rand novel, fighting the tyranny of government (by using government agencies against those whom they exist to protect).

25 Likes

Weaponized bums, huh? Find out where the speculators live, and counter-strike.

“Mr. President, we must not allow a bum gap!”

18 Likes

My brothers, sisters, and otherwise in New York. I offer the following instructional diagrams:

Also, hot tip, one of those dumpsters with wheels substitutes for a tumbrel wonderfully.

26 Likes

I wonder how much it would clean a house of the smell of a hundreds rats who lived on two rotting goat carcasses.

2 Likes

(it’s a cake)

7 Likes

The cake is a lie. Fake cake. Sad.

26 Likes

If this is so widespread, why is there no enforcement of the protections, no penalties, criminal charges against the owners using these tactics? No public advocacy group operating in these areas?

6 Likes

All of these things are in place, but how many people know how to access them? How many of these agencies are staffed up so they can handle a problem on short notice?

I lived in NYC in the 80s and I heard similar stories back then. These guys have been practicing their craft a long long time.

12 Likes

That is just horrible. Out here, it is people trying to get our water rights. Probably the same people. They seem to be a class of parasites, extracting money from everything, without adding any value.

12 Likes

“It’s like we’re bad inventory they want to off-load to some warehouse so we’re not in the way anymore.”

She hit the nail on the head right there. 100 percent disposable humans. Nothing but a mild annoyance to shove aside in the pursuit of profit on the backs of the most vulnerable of our friends and neighbors.
Nothing new, of course. Scum like these guys have been doing this for a long time - but it just keeps getting easier all the time. Click a few buttons, sign a few forms, and a building full of human beings is now nothing more than a vehicle with which to create wealth for one person, pain for 100’s. Fucking sad. Literally sad.

13 Likes

The diagram is labeled incorrectly.
#5 is clearly meant to provide lumbar support.

4 Likes

Vinod Khosla

David Geffen &

Dr. ?? Lent,
http://www.theinertia.com/environment/this-guy-stole-your-malibu-beach-and-he-rents-it-out-for-900-a-day/
and and and.

Yeah … the states closest to Russia have been having this problem for some time.

Water makes real estate people want to become war lords.

10 Likes

buffy-gross

7 Likes

Yep. Let them eat cake.

7 Likes

I have this strange feeling that it’s actually just a thin shell of icing.

7 Likes

I think this design could be greatly improved by replacing the grooved wooden uprights with metal tracks, with the blade assembly riding on longer wheeled “trucks”, where wheels ride on three sides of the track. I’d also use a modern quick release mechanism for releasing the blade. Thoughts?

2 Likes

For speed, you could use a band saw. For spectacle, you could use a vertically mounted tube over a horizontally mounted bacon slicer.

3 Likes