New York public school lunch program will have "Meatless Mondays"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/12/new-york-public-school-lunch-p.html

7 Likes

I think calling it meatless mondays is more of a naming ploy to get attention, which may or may not be a good thing i suppose. However eating less meat is a good thing, i’m sure some folks will have the kneejerk reaction that this is some hippy new age liberal propaganda but i don’t see this is being for anything in particular. People typically aren’t meant to eat meat as often as we have been, it does make sense in certain cultures and environments but usually our modern diet isn’t suited for the amount of animal protein that’s consumed.

When i started to switch over to a more veggie based diet i just felt so much better after every meal. I should probably cut back even more my meat consumption and i could probably get in much better shape.

11 Likes

buRCvsa

5 Likes

Will they have “Fatless Friday” too?

4 Likes

Tuna-less Tuesday
Waffle-only Wednesday
Thin Mint Thursday

8 Likes

Find a better cook. Anyone who scoffs and vegetarian food likely hasn’t had a good vegetarian meal. I’m a confirmed meat eater but I do love a good meatless Indian curry.

10 Likes

Krusty Brand Imitation Gruel

6 Likes

The best vegetarian meals are the ones which aren’t trying to pretend to be meat ones.

Indian cuisine and “Buddhist” fare always bring the flavor.

15 Likes

Oh yeah, shojin ryori (traditional Japanese Buddhist food) and northern Indian cuisine are amazing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There’s quite a few regional cuisines that traditionally have no meat but when talking about vegetarian options people don’t think of them a lot. There are many asian cuisines that meat can be easily substituted out or have none to begin with. Same with Italian food, there’s quite a few examples of traditional dishes that are meatless :smiley:

For latin dishes it can be slightly harder… though not terribly so. Most sides don’t have meat, and the main dish can be replaced with more veggies.

6 Likes

They would do well to have a “reduced bread and sugar” day too, but I can’t think of a catchy name for it. Should be every day!

4 Likes

I’m curious to know the quantity and quality of meat that would generally go into a school meal. I didn’t grow up with food in school so I actually have no idea what they normally look like.

1 Like

Most days for me are meatless because I just… happen to not like meat that much, but this feels a bit silly, at least from a health standpoint. From an environmental standpoint, one day not using meat across a whole set of schools I could see having a purchasing impact.

From a health point of view, removing one specific food item one day a week is absolutely worthless. Any diet that targets one food type as “bad” and others as “good” is overly simplistic to begin with. It’s a hallmark of fad diets. The only way to improve health is well balanced meals every day. It’s just that this is complicated, varies heavily by the individual, expensive, and it’s not a big dramatic change that makes it look like you’re taking drastic action, so it’s a less popular solution, especially at an institutional level. Hell, even if we can all agree school lunches have more meat than is healthy, the solution isn’t to remove meat on one day, it’s to reduce meat every day.

1 Like

Misread the headline as Measles Monday. Glad it is Meatless. Carry on. Well. done.

9 Likes

No, that’s in Washington State, no NYC…

8 Likes

There were 133 reported cases of measles in Brooklyn and Queens since October. So NYC can try a measles-less Monday as well.

9 Likes

Ugh, anti-vaxxers strike again…

6 Likes

When I was in school, it was “Mystery Meat Monday”.

11 Likes

Willful stupid is contagious.

7 Likes

Indeed, I’m expecting a lot of bread and pasta is going to be making its way into this rapidly.

Suddenly I am reminded of this fine attempt at nutrition education:

3 Likes