New York public school lunch program will have "Meatless Mondays"

i wonder if they are including dairy? Cuz yeah you could probably serve some stuff without meat and no one would even think twice about it. like cheese pizza or bean burritos.

I fully expect this to be a right wing rally point on the “liberals trying to make us all into sissy ladies” thread. People who can’t envision a day without meat are not competent enough to feed themselves.

3 Likes

Dairy is not meat, it’s fine on Meatless Monday. This isn’t a vegan thing, it’s a vegetarian thing - and hundreds of millions of vegetarians around the world eat dairy with their vegetables to make up the dietary essentials that can’t be gotten from exclusively vegetarian meals.

3 Likes

I misread that as Measles Monday.

3 Likes

myself included :wink: And that’s kinda my point. people who arent vegetarian tend to hear that word and think it’s all just eating salad and carrots. forgetting the worlds of carbs, nuts, beans, dairy etc…

2 Likes

It’s Taco Tuesday!

1 Like

Mushroom Monday?

1 Like

Waffles! of course. I was sitting here trying to think of foods that start with W.

Best I had was wasabi Wednesday which might not poll well with average school kids.

2 Likes

Ethiopian cuisine for the win, when it comes to tasty vegetarian food that isn’t pretending to be meat.

7 Likes

That is definitely on my list of cuisines which are easy for me to find, but haven’t gotten around to trying.

2 Likes

It’s not veggie, but I’m a big fan of Doro Wat:

10 Likes

I could easily be wrong about NYC’s school lunch program…

but why do I seriously doubt that the problems that their breakfasts and lunches have, from a nutritional standpoint, is “too much meat”?

I just have a sneaky suspicion that things like Cheese Pizza, Spaghetti with Meatless Balls, and hamburgers with a 2 oz Bocaburger versus a 2oz Beef patty will be more what they serve and less helpful in doing anything about the conditions that they discussed.

OK, Rant time: Diabetes is genetic. You do not get diabetes because you are fat, you get fat because of diabetes, and the damage that the disease does to your system. Yes, if it is caught early enough, you can control the disease via diet for some time period, but eventually, it’s going to break through unless you die of something else first. Calling for the elimination of meat to try to stem the tide of diabetes is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard because even for pre-diabetic people the emphasis is on removing starches and sugars from the diets, not fats and proteins. You can’t just list health problems and say “Eating less meat will help this!!!1!”. If they replace the lost proteins with high-carb veggies and fruits, if it does anything it would be worse for the pre-diabetic kids.

2 Likes

Easy for you to get to, and you HAVEN’T tried Ethiopian yet?

You’re gonna kick yourself for waiting so long when you finally do.

6 Likes

You can get vegetarian Doro Wat. Now I know where we’ll go if you ever come to town!

6 Likes

Oh, I’m totally coming to the Chi one of these days, when my money is right; I told you I have family there. And when I do, of course we have to have lunch or dinner.

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yeah this is incredible. I learned about berbere from this dish and have never looked back.

4 Likes

OK, now I know where I am going with the Missus on Friday Night

4 Likes

Cool; let me know your opinion after you’ve tried it.

4 Likes

Love that fermented bread too. Teff ftw!

2 Likes

I fully expect this to be a case of the NY public schools using “health” as PR cover for a decision that was more likely driven by a desire to reduce expenditure on feeding the poor.

4 Likes