New York Times column calls for U.S. military to suppress protests with "overwhelming force"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/03/new-york-times-column-calls-fo.html

24 Likes

Canceling Subscription now.

45 Likes

oh come on, what the hell are they thinking?

16 Likes

The Times is such a goddamn conundrum. They do legitimately incredible journalism work that no other organization has the resources or willpower to do, like dedicating investigative reporters and financial experts to spend more than a year sorting through decades of the Trump family’s financial shenanigans or creating the 1619 series on the living history of slavery in America. And then they publish infuriatingly misleading headlines and pull ridiculous stunts like this op-ed in the name of “balance.”

77 Likes

The old gray lady
ain’t what she used ta be

40 Likes

giphy-8

41 Likes

More? How can you take more when you haven’t taken any?

16 Likes

Most of their opinion pieces have a comments section at the bottom of the page, but they’re disabled on this one.

42 Likes

Completely irresponsible. Any objections will be met with “it’s an op-ed, what can we do, we’re helpless”, but it’s BS. And they got rid of their public editor position exactly two years ago, so there’s no appeal to be made to an ombudsman.

If you want to complain, I’d use this e-mail: letters@nytimes.com

48 Likes

I’m pretty sure we have already established Tom Cotton as a sycophantic Cheetolini bootlicker, when not wearing the racist hat. Or sometimes in addition to.

35 Likes

Canceled mine years ago.

11 Likes

The New York Times—or the FTFNYT, as they’re often called online—has been a serious problem for a functioning democracy for some time. They were one of the major drivers of the nothingburger which was the Whitewater investigation. They helped push the fraudulent claims for the Iraq invasion. They sat on truly shocking Trump story after truly shocking Trump story during the 2016 election. And now they do this. (And that’s glossing over scores of other equally outraging examples.)

I don’t know what, if anything, there is to do about it, other than make it clear that the FTFNYT is a conservative rag which happens to employ some absolutely outstanding investigative journalists.

34 Likes

Next editorial : Jeffrey Dahmer’s ghost with “People are delicious”.

18 Likes

A Tale of Two Tweets

56 Likes

“I grab ‘em by the Posse Comitatus. When you’re a fascist, they let you do it.”

71 Likes

I’m not laughing because I think we’re past that, but well played.

30 Likes

Tom Cotton? Really?

That’s like Penthouse magazine running a Pat Robertson piece on abortion and same sex marriage.

19 Likes

He must take comfort in knowing he is on the far-right side of history.

16 Likes

Oh look! It’s one of the faces of evil. Smarmier than I expected.

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, it’s good to know just what this piece of shit thinks. Plus, he’s a Senator, so his opinion is oh so very important. Let us gather around and listen to what he says. Stones are optional, but encouraged.

30 Likes

Fuck Tom Cotton.

27 Likes