New York Times opinion editor out

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/08/new-york-times-opinion-editor.html

14 Likes

Good riddance.

38 Likes

This. Anyone who let that Tom Cotton screed be published has no business being the opinion editor on NYT. Or any other newspaper of quality.

28 Likes

Good.

18 Likes

it turned out he hadn’t even read it himself

Christ, what an asshole.

28 Likes

download (2)

35 Likes

My subscription remains cancelled.I subscribed as a statement that quality journalism is important to me, and this ain’t it. I think I’ll donate that money to Pro Publica instead.

19 Likes

Eschaton

Friday, June 05, 2020

You Expect Us To Read Our Own Opinion Page?

Hi James, do you have anything to say?

We published Cotton’s argument in part because we’ve committed to Times readers to provide a debate on important questions like this.

James, did you even read it?

Uh, no.

Society can only survive so many generations of elite failsons running everything. They’re stupid and lazy and immoral and dishonest and they think they’re smarter than you because of where they fucking went to high school (James went to St. Albans, you know).

Atrios at 07:30

21 Likes

Eschaton

Monday, June 08, 2020

The Hottest Takes

“James Bennet deserves immense credit for publishing a great writer who is also black” is quite the take going around from a bunch of white people who don’t understand how damning it is of themselves and their industry. I mean, an editor deserves extra credit for that? He published the black guy, people! HE. PUBLISHED. A. BLACK. GUY. A GREAT WRITER BLACK GUY. ALL YOU LIBERALS, LOOK, HE PUBLISHED A BLACK GUY!!!

If that is actually a notable achievement…

Atrios at 08:00

17 Likes

Glad to hear it. I called the day they published Cotton’s op-ed to cancel (I know, I know - I keep subscribing and unsubscribing when they piss me off. I don’t know why I’ve gone back sometimes). It was the first time that they had clearly been doing some damage control and the people in their subscription department were ready with, “Is this because of the Tom Cotton op-ed?” and a bunch of counter-arguments about how almost all of their other op-eds are not like that.

15 Likes

The “glass floor” is sliding into place under Bennet just as surely as it did for Stephen Glass, Jonah Lehrer, James Frey, and countless other white male liars and incompetents in whom the-powers-that-be invested too much of themselves. Despite this abject high-profile failure, Bennet will have another cushy and influential six-figure job by the end of the year.

14 Likes

but it turned out he hadn’t even read it himself before it was published

Isn’t this the only job of the opinion editor?

25 Likes

Just wondering, why would you cancel because of an op-ed?

1 Like

dont-trust-b-in-apt-yayboo

17 Likes

almost all of their other op-eds are not like that

almost

all

10 Likes

That’s a start. Now let’s get rid of Tom Cotton.

25 Likes

I assume because, unlike Bennet, they looked at what was in it. If you do it’s very obvious.

11 Likes

Exactly.

3 Likes

Yep. It’s the difference between a published, “our editors think this is a well-thought out opinion that everyone may not agree with,” a letter to the editor that gets published, and the deranged internet comments section rantings of some asshat about “mah freedums.”

I don’t need the editor of the NYT opinion section to be an edgelord.

11 Likes

Because, if their op-ed chief can’t even be bothered to read an incredibly controversial piece before signing off on it, there’s something deeply wrong.

14 Likes