A 'brief history" of the New York Times' pompous, thin-skinned columnists

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/05/a-brief-history-of-the-new.html

4 Likes

My favorite word for the NYT’s opinion section under Bennet is prosciutto : fancy, fragile, salty, undercooked ham.

Is someone maligning prosciutto here? them’s fightin’ words.

7 Likes

In the end, Stephens and the other NYT columnists mentioned are most upset that they’re no longer the only ones with a platform to present their supposedly “heterodox moderate centrist” viewpoints to millions of readers, and that the hoi polloi can now criticise them and mock them on those same platforms. That would still be the case if Twitter wasn’t the cesspool it is.

18 Likes

In any case, I am getting a bit weary of journalists whose main work seems to provide running commentary on what happens on Twitter.

15 Likes

I subscribed to the NYT in 2016 thinking I needed to support independent journalism.

I unsubscribed like 3 months later after I realized what a clusterfuck their editorial board was.

3 Likes

Their newsroom is still pretty good overall and a net benefit to society.

Their opinion section not so much.

ETA: And of course their crossword section is still second-to-none.

13 Likes

Reminder: Columnist != Journalist

11 Likes

The same could be said about the WSJ (pre-Murdoch and now). Except that the WSJ op-ed page is right-wing crazytown instead of the NYT’s half-hearted attempt to pawn off so-called centrists (Stephens, Cardinal Douthat, Weiss, the Moustache of Understanding, and BoBo) as reasonable and mannered conservatives for “balance”.

I could also do without Maureen Dowd using her space to expound on her personal psychodramas, but that’s a matter of personal taste.

15 Likes

Wish I could give additional likes for “the Moustache of Understanding.”

4 Likes

I agree - their reporting is great. That said the tipping point for me was when I realized that editorial decisions weren’t made based on elevating intelligent discourse but by whether a given column would piss off enough people?

Having now been brought up to speed about the Bret Stephens bedbug saga, my opinion remains unchanged.

4 Likes

Not my phrase, but it does sum up Friedman.

4 Likes

I meant Feinberg, but yeah.

At first I was like “what’s going on with that bread?” And then I was like, “What the hell’s going on with that bread!?!”

Really. What’s the story on that bread?

4 Likes

Random google pic of prosciutto. Don’t over think it.

Same is true of the WSJ. Some of the finest business reporting anywhere, complete jackassery in the opinion pages.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.