New York Times column calls for U.S. military to suppress protests with "overwhelming force"

Yes, that is completely correct. And also we must use lethal military force to subdue the protests.

Donald Trump is a pious, godly man because he waved a bible about.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this little sojourn into the conservative brain.

At least he isn’t creepy, like that Cotton ghoul.

16 Likes

I’m pretty sure I didn’t earn as much as an eye roll when I 1st advised folks to begin forming cells after Trump was elected. So, are folks forming cells yet? Pre-designated locales to meet up if communications get jammed? Contingency plans? Not yet? Eye rolls? Mmmkay.

2 Likes

NYT playing to American liberals fantasy that their new model army is just oh so special. Its long vexed me here that people almost to a person recognise the police as being institutionally racist (despite the multi ethnic composition, though dominated by white racists) yet somehow imagine thst their military which has been engaged in killing POC all round the world since before you were born, constantly, isn’t.

Here’s Matt Yglesias delivering what I can only hope is satire.

If anyone wants video of military doing crowd control I can direct you to footage from all around the world.

27 Likes

My 2c here: the NY Times is definitely a left-of-center publication, in terms of the editorials speaking for the editorial board, who it endorses in elections, etc.

But they are very sensitive to the charge that they do not represent the straight news as straight news, or that their op eds are completely unbalanced, so they have regular columnists who are right-of-center, Ross Douthat, for example. And they do invite guest editorials from voices further to the right, like Cotton, for similar reasons. Their thinking is if they invite Adam Schiff to write a guest editorial one month, they need to offer the same chance to Tom Cotton some other month.

Maybe this is something that mattered as late as the mid-90’s, but I don’t see any Trumpy neckbeard-types thinking “well, this news report saying Barr personally kills the last remaining individuals in endangered species was in the New York Times, but they ran that thing from Senator Cotton the other day, so maybe it’s true!” rather than automatically thinking any coverage they don’t like is Fake News. I think it’s just an antiquated way of doing things.

4 Likes

Thread:

Sam Sykes is not here for your equivocating bullshit on this matter.

25 Likes

You said it, and their record on supporting military interventions abroad is one of the most consistent ways that they do this. NYTimes is right wing politics repackaged for liberals.

9 Likes

An American senator, GOP of course, called for the military to crush a non violent protest.

On the anniversary of Tienemen square of course.

Yeah- the GOP are the enemies of a free America

20 Likes

Vastly misleading clickbaity headline, causing people to knee-jerk post who wouldn’t even scroll 2 inches to see the real author of the opinion piece.

How is this helping?

Tom Cotton who previously was advocating for war crimes, and they still thought, “Yeah, we’ll have him write an op ed.”

Yeah, though it’s not like he was shy about it - he was on Twitter demanding war crimes.

Problem is, Trump liked how China handled that. He went on and on about how “strong” they were in their response. It was the model for how he wanted to handle this. Pompeo hosted/lauded some “survivor of Tiannamen,” and beforehand the joke was that it was going to turn out to be a Chinese tank.

Especially since the cops have killed a number of protestors in the last few days, even.

20 Likes
33 Likes

About that (as you probably already know):

32 Likes

That is fucking grim @beschizza. Right up my alley.

16 Likes

If the Times survives this, may they forever be thrown under the boot of history and liberty for it. They are the snake begging to be stepped on

4 Likes

How is the op-ed helping?

16 Likes

It defeats the paywall

29 Likes

Well, guess we can drop the “crypto” part of “cryptofascist.”

14 Likes

Yeah, genuinely northern people thought the army would be some professional relief from the racist local law enforcement burning them out of houses etc. (the non radicals at least) and boy did they get a rude awakening when imprisonment without trial, mass intimidation of the people, and substituting the “non-lethal” ammo for bullets at peaceful protests kicked in

But there are way more horrifying lessons from history. Do not let the fucking trained killers out on the streets, with their horrifying weapons, to police the unrest. It is awful to consider. I can’t express how bad an idea this is. I really can’t. Demilitarise the state.
government can only be by consensus or else it is only brutal oppression.

24 Likes

‘This Face Will Be The Last Thing You See Before You Die,’ Says Trump In Healing Address To Nation

18 Likes

This really made my lulz. LOL. I don’t trust any for profit news source, this article here’s one reason why.

Here’s the best news source: Unbiased, Independent, Facts

3 Likes

18 Likes