New York Times removes reporters' bylines from homepage

As Sturgeon’s Law states, 90% of everything is crap. Do you have a favorite news source, which seems less crappy? (I like diversifying my news portfolio)

1 Like

Rob
Ref your reply and additional reply to @ugh, I think I’ve cast my vote already ref byline.

One of those ‘temporary’ designs (aren’t they all, by definition?) must have been around for a while, because I really noticed it (and complained) when it changed. (I may have had a different username at that point.) And given the frequency with which new voices appear as BB posters (no complaints re that) this becomes even more important.

But ref shorter posts with byline visible at bottom due to post shortness - it might help, but might make me have to click on too many things I’d have read enough about with the current typical length, so there is such a thing as too short too. You can’t win of course, because, that said, I have been vocal about some of the new posters failing to use the “summary, quote/extract, link” format and subjecting us to miles and miles of vertical scrolling - especially often to get past umpteen instagram thingies that are typically just white/blank space, seeing as they never seem to load for me, and I know other have commented the same - one sample instagram thingy is nearly always enough and the rest should be after linking to the full post.

As I say, you can’t win, but my vote is for byline at top, current typical post length, but rein in those who post things approaching/longer than about one screen in height.

Thanks for asking.

Any bets on whether ‘reporter’ is spelled ‘content resource’ in Management’s head?

Pretty much all corporate media is too irritating for me to tolerate these days, so I don’t do any cable news or mainstream newspapers.

I spend a lot of time listening to a wide range of podcasts; of those, I’d say that Citations Needed is the most worthwhile.

For radical-perspective news relating to street-level activism and protest, check out It’s Going Down. Whenever/wherever protest is on, they will have first-person accounts going up as it happens.

Bringing it back to the original topic, note the interesting collection of bylines on the front page of IGD today:

1 Like

As a web-dev, my money is on a designer-led visual redesign that was sold as being “less cluttered”.

And no re-review by data-mongers or, um, other stakeholders. Designers seem to hate metadata, and eliminate it whenever they see it. I’m just happy/surprised the date is still there. I’ve seen that go bye-bye quietly plenty of times also when a redesign tries to get “slicker”.

No need to assume malice where incompetence is a sufficient explanation.

In case anyone wants to chime in directly with the NY Times, when I just visited the home page I got a pop-up soliciting feedback:

Which ultimately leads to:

I love the Economist for this. Leave your ego at the door and just write the facts as you see them. As long as they have a named editor in charge staking their reputation on the lot, there’s little need to worry about (deliberate) fake news.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.